1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"The Pitchforks are coming for us Plutocrats"

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Alma, Jul 4, 2014.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But if the store was using the right strategies, they would be making enough so they could afford to pay their workers more.

When people talk about raising the wage, they're usually thinking of the larger companies, like Walmart and McDonald's. They don't usually think of Mom and Pop.

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Coaching little league led to a job with a guy I never knew previously.

A family friend who was a commodities trader introduced me to a guy at another company, who eventually hired me. I called this guy every morning at 6:30 for 6 weeks before he agreed to hire me.

I volunteered at City Hall because my girlfriend at the time worked there. She worked long hours, so the best way to see her was to help out. But, they were always looking for volunteers to work events.

I met the guy who hired me at the coffee/espresso job because I signed up for a "barista class" he was teaching. I was thinking about trying to open a coffee or tea shop at the time.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Also, many people do not have the freedom to just walk away from from jobs or drop out of college. Many people get only one chance, at best.

And of course, most people are not bank rolled when they decide to start their own business.

Hey, I know there are lazy fucks out there. But there are also many people who are not lazy fucks, but one or two things happened (sick parent, marriage, illness) that prevented them from moving on.

4. If you did an economics show on YouTube, it would be a big comedy hit.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

The store owners are just as human as their employees. Sometimes they just are not good enough. None of which addressess the point anyway, so let it go.

Already been addressed. These are publicly traded companies whose shareholders demand maximum profits and do not care whether the owners can "afford" to make less money by paying their employees more. The shareholders CANNOT afford this because it will damage profits, hurt the stock price and thus hurt THEM and their investment.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

One of the few things I respect about the Koch Brothers is they are not traded as a stock. It's their money. They can do with it whatever they want. They are not slaves to a stock price.

7. Baron Scicluna

And again I'll ask: where will they go? Other investments? Sure, but those investments are already not as profitable as they would like. If it was, they would already have invested in it.

Hypothetically speaking, say Walmart raises wages. You say profits are less. But let's say those Walmart employees with more money can afford to buy more things. Their money helps other businesses make money. Those other businesses can afford to hire more employees. More workers means more competition for workers, which raises wages more. Those employees now have more money in their pocket, which means they can afford to buy more at Walmart.

You know who else uses this theory? Republicans. Their philosophy is that cutting their taxes gives them more money so that they can create more jobs, hypothetically speaking. I won't get into pocketing the tax breaks here.

The philosophy is that more money= a greater ability to do more with it, whether it is creating jobs or buying stuff at Walmart.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Jesus, have you ZERO knowledge of how corporations work? Shareholders make demands all the time, and if they are angry enough changes are made. Board members are replaced. The CEO and/or CFO is replaced.

Is JCPenney a big enough company for you? They fired their CEO last year. Why? Because the board caved to demands from impatient investors.

The shareholders DO NOT CARE if employees are making more money and spending it on new cars and concerts and Carnival Cruises. They DO NOT CARE if OTHER businesses are making more money. They want THEIR company to maximize revenues or they will be hammered by Wall Street.

Macro vs. micro. The twain does not meet.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

It's not the government's job (federal or local) to manage this stuff. Employers can and should pay what they believe is fair or whatever they can get by with. If someone doesn't want to work an $8 hour job, fine, don't. I suspect most of us have, at one time or another, turned down or quit jobs because of unacceptable salary or working conditions.

If you wanna strike, strike. If you wanna quit, quit. But unless you actually work for the government at some level, it' pointless to go crying to them because you feel you don't make enough.

10. Baron Scicluna

They will care when those car employees, concert workers and Carnival employees, who are employed because Walmart workers are using their businesses, go shopping at Walmart, thereby INCREASING Walmart's revenue and INCREASING the value of the company.

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Is it better to lie to them and say it isn't? Because if that's your plan, then you can expect generations equally stupid to follow.

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

If it wants to be a company that lasts longer than a couple years, both 1 and 2 would already be in place.

Draft saved Draft deleted