1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pirate Speaks: Leach thread v2.0

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Dec 30, 2009.

1. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

This story has it all.

2. SockPuppet

SockPuppet Active Member

If you wade through the e-mails obtained by the DMN (all pertaining to the contract negotiations of a year ago) you get the idea that Leach and his agents believed they could pull a fast one on what they consider West Texas rubes. Sounds like most of Leach's "job offers/interviews" were planted by his agents.

The incident with Adam James gave Tech the leverage it needed to force Leach's hand. They asked him to sign off on a letter of conduct, probably knowing that he would refuse. That gave them the reason to suspend him and they probably figured he'd go to court for a restraining order. Two acts of "eff you" defiance and they pulled the trigger.

If Adam James was a slacker, Leach could have suspended him and then let him transfer (rumor has it James wanted to transfer to SMU but Leach doesn't allow transfers to instate I-A schools). Instead of being smart, Leach punished James in a humiliating manner (there was no "danger" involved). Leach figured that he was in such a strong position of strength that he could get away with anything. He figured wrong.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Mike Leach, in a way, died for the sins of Nick Saban, Rich Rodriguez, Charlie Weis and all the other coaches who have bent their employers over the chair with impunity to extort new contracts out of them.

Probably 98.5% of the time, there's nothing the university can do about it; it has to bend over and give Coach Cashgrubber anything and everything he demands.

But once in a great while, the university ends up with a red-hot poker in its hands, and when it does, you know where that poker's going.

4. Smash Williams

Smash Williams Well-Known Member

Now all this I can agree with. Leach is an arrogant, entitled prick and really screwed himself here, and I think the school, much like Kansas, was looking for an opportunity to get rid of him. That's their prerogative, and Leach put himself in the situation by reacting in an entirely inappropriate manner and then being arrogant in its aftermath.

All that said, I still get the sense the original incident is not as straightforward as "poor kid was dumped on by Mike Leach for no good reason." I don't trust that either party is putting forward a full, truthful account of what happened with Adam James and why those incidents happened.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I get that, but all of my statement still stands. He deserves what he got for the way he treated a player with a concussion, even though that is only part of why he got fired.

6. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

That's great stuff. Reminds me of those amazing moments when you've FOIA'd the hell out of a story you've been working on, and you are begrudgingly delivered that hefty file of badly photocopied emails. Sitting before you is Christmas Day; access to the political and thought processes your subjects spent so much time massaging and keeping away from you. There it all is, the real stuff, the real discussions by the real decision-makers. They know you've seen it, and they know they can no longer bullshit and cover.

I won't lie. I always got at at least half a rod from diving into a key FOIA package like that for my beat. It's orgasmic, from a journalistic perspective.

7. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Every word of those first e-mails is fascinating. What a cool look inside the minds of those running a BCS program.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Fascinating, to me, is the use of the "p-word" and vagina as metaphors for wimp or soft. I suspect most guys who use those words that way -- if they had to menstruate monthly and one day go into labor and pass a baby through an orifice generally smaller than the baby -- would not subsequently invoke the name of that orifice in calling someone soft or wimpy.

Never understood how a thinking person could come up with that one.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Take the word "thinking" out of that last sentence and maybe it will make more sense. I know plenty of guys who use it that way, including athletes and coaches. I doubt any of them really think it through like that.

10. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Mike Reno looks very much like Kim Jong-Il.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Shit! The concussion left Adam's ears ringing so loudly, you can hear the buzz on youtube.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It's amazing how different the stories are on SI.com and Sportsline compared to ESPN.

Stewart Mandel and Matty Hayes both essentially say Leach was ambushed and one of them said James' credibility as a college football analyst must be taken into serious question now.

Draft saved Draft deleted