1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The (physically) oldest CD you own

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Football_Bat, Nov 13, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

What is the CD you've had the longest?

For me it's probably my copy of Nine Inch Nails' Pretty Hate Machine I bought sometime in 1990. Popped it in the player in my SUV yesterday and it still sounds great. No scratchiness. :)

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

When I finally broke down and bought a stereo with a CD player, I signed up for Columbia House or BMG music club to load up. I think my first batch included a Phil Collins Live CD, a Waiting to Exhale Soundtrack and a smooth jazz CD.

3. "BloodSugarSexMagik" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Got it for Christmas along with my first CD player.

4. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

Big Audio Dynamite's "No. 10 Upping Street" - purchased in July 1987, when I got my first CD player.

5. KJIM

KJIM Well-Known Member

1987. I don't remember the first because I bought a ton of them, right after buying my first CD players from the DAK catalogue.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

Remember when you could buy those "various artists" albums with nothing but hits on them? Do they even produce those anymore? Anyway, I have a couple of those on CD from as far back as 1987-88. Haven't listened to them in a long time, though. I should do that today, if for no other reason than to listen to "Shake You Down" by Gregory Abbott for the first time in years!!

7. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I could be any number of alternative C.D.'s from my youth. Woodstock '94 or possibly Soundgarden's Superunknown.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

First CD I ever physically saw was The Joshua Tree. The small music mag I was writing for then had a bunch as contest prizes. All the review copies we got of new releases were vinyl.

First CD I ever bought was the first Clash album. Didn't even own a CD player when I bought it, it was part of a package with both the cassette and CD of the same album. Strange thing, don't think it was a marketing thing that lasted long or had much success.

9. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

I'm not sure because I "inherited" Mr. Rosie's CDs when we became a couple and I have no idea how old some of them are - at least 20 years old.

I never listen to CDs anymore - I ripped them all onto my hard drive and have them on my Zune.

But I have some LPs that are more than 40 years old and some 78s that are even older - and still play.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't have a clue which is my oldest CD. They are all sitting in storage. It would have been 1987, probably. Some facts I just read on Wikipedia, because this thread got me interested.

The first CD manufactured was The Visitors by ABBA.
    The first album released on CD was Billy Joel's 52nd Street -- hit the market at the same time as a Sony CD player in late 1982 in Japan.
    CDs (16 released by CBS records) and CD players hit the market in the US in early 1983.
    The first CD to sell a million copies was Dire Strait's Brothers in Arms -- 1985.
    First major artist to have his entire catalogue converted to CD was David Bowie in 1985. He added four greatest hits albums.
    To date, the biggest selling CD (as opposed to the biggest selling title) is Beatles "1", released in November 2000, with worldwide sales of 30 million discs.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I think my oldest CD is Debbie Gibson's Electric Youth.

Sad, I know. But as a teen, I thought she was cute.

12. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I seriously think I am the only one who still uses CDs and does not have an MP3 player.

Draft saved Draft deleted