1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The phasing out of languages around the world

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by imjustagirl, Nov 1, 2009.

1. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Obviously, a joke. I studied French for five years. The pronounciation was probably the most difficult thing to get down, as the grammar is fairly easy.

2. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I failed Spanish, French, Latin and Russian in my storied educational career. Burn 'em all.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

In English, though, you don't have to decline nouns or conjugate verbs (except for the -s on third person singular) or worry about gender of things. And sentence structure (subject-verb-object) is straightforward. You don't have to toss the verb to the end of the dependent clause like you do in German.

It's things like knowing how to pronounce words like through, rough, cough and though that trip up furriners. And when to use then/than and to/two/too. We're experts at that and don't see how hard it is.

4. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

On a slightly related note, I saw a story last week that ICANN, the international Internet overlords, have said that they're going to permit Internet addresses in character sets other than the Latin/Roman alphabet.

5. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

I'll take homonyms and idioms over that gender crap that goes on in French.
    How can a tomato be male or female?

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of the actual numbers, but I thought there were more words in English that are Germanic in orgin than there are words that are from Latin or Greek. Linguists consider English to be a Germanic language.

Football_Bat is right about the tricky pronunciations. I think those are also the toughest things for young kids learning to read and write. I know that is what trips my daughter up the most.

7. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

I plan on taking some lessons from a native speaker. He said the only way to get it down is to do it on a constant basis. I was involved in French group that met twice a month, but time constraints meant I haven't been able to attend a meeting in a while.

The hardest thing for me is that the modifier goes after the nouns it describes. Conjugating verbs isn't as hard as I once thought once I picked up Essential French Grammar, little book with loads of tips.

8. McPoyle

McPoyle Guest

God?

9. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

That's pretty fucking deep man.

10. RagingCanuck

RagingCanuck Guest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#Word_origins
    The answer is somewhere in between. Almost all of the most common words we use are "Germanic" or originated in Old English. Through the whole language though, it's about evenly split between French, Latin and Germanic. A lot of the French words came into the language as synonyms (i.e. beef = boeuf).

11. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

My wife cannot tell the difference between the English words "slip" and "sleep" when she hears them spoken.

On the other hand, her language has one letter for "sh" (Ш) and another for "shch" (Щ) which, I swear, sound 99.98% the same.

"No! They are totally different!" she insists.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My girlfriend laughs at me when I try to pronounce her last name & asks me not to try.

In English, it's transliterated as a consonant followed by three vowels. But it's all in how you say it.

I find stuff like this article fascinating & have enjoyed this thread a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted