1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The person that should be thanked most for the Warriors revival....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, May 1, 2007.

1. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

is noneother than Larry Bird for making one of the worst trades I've witnessed in a long time.

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Big Chee - I think the pacers were fifth in the Eastern Conference at the time of the trade and the warriors were 10th in the West. You are right on about the trade being a big part of that. I'm sure Rick Carlisle would agree.
    But props to Mully and Nelly as well. I still think Cohan is a bad owner.

3. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

I thought Rick Carlisle got shafted by Birds lapse in judgement. The Pacers got slower and less athletic with the acquisitions of Murphy and Dunlevy. They were exploited routinely at those positions once joining the team, and it reflected the Pacers record.

Larry should thank Isiah Thomas for being around and gathering all of the attention that should be unto him.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's 3-1. Is the series with Dallas over?

5. Mmac

Mmac Guest

Even worse than the short term one-sidedness of the deal, the Pacers also got more overpaid longer term contracts restricing their future options for years to come. Bird and Walsh set the Pacer franchise's recovery back a couple years (at least) with that deal. And the guy who ends up paying the price and getting fired is Rick Carlisle who was not responsible for the deal (presumably) and did better than predicted with every team he's coached until the last year or 2 when Walsh and Bird's moves have truly sabotaged his roster.

6. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Not until someone wins a fourth game.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

The series aside, he personally resurrected that Warriors franchise with that egregiously piss poor trade.

8. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

I could give two shits in the wind about the Warriors and their revival, but it's the person who, not the person that. Carry on ...

9. Chef

Chef Active Member

I for one will be glued in tonight......love to see that whiny bastard Cuban take one in the ass by a former coach.

10. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

So true. If Isiah had made that deal, he'd be getting roasted nationally. But Bird somehow gets a free pass. Why would anyone trade to get Murphy and Dunleavy, two soft, unathletic players with bad contracts? The Pacers needed some kind of shakeup, but bringing in those two guys was absolutely idiotic.

That said, the person most responsible for the Warriors' revival is Baron Davis. When he's healthy and motivated like he is now, the dude's unreal.

11. Chef

Chef Active Member

If I had my way, GS and PHX would be playing in the Western Conference Finals.

Absolute blast to watch.

12. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

No, it's not over. And I reckon Dallas will come back to win the damn thing.
    These Mavs were denied last year after a 2-0 lead in the Finals.
    This year's team wins it all, the way I see it.

Draft saved Draft deleted