1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The perils of press row (my laptop is #@!*%ed)

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Trey Beamon, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I'm sure it has happened to some of you ... yesterday was my turn.

I'm just minding my own business, working on a basketball notebook before my girls state game began. Then it happened: An errant pass, which I never saw coming, hit the back of my laptop screen.

The damage was instant, and my screen looked like something Hendrix might have seen circa 1967. I made somewhat of a scene ... punching the table, etc., much to my regret after the fact.

From what I've been told, the internal LCD is broken and repairs will likely cost around $300-500. Uggggggh.

Has something like this happened to you? How did you handle it? And since it was done on company time, does my newspaper bear any responsibility?

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

If you work at a decent (i.e. non-JRC or Ganett company), I imagine they'd realize the circumstances and offer to get it fixed for you. One question though - Is it worth it to fix vs. buying a new one? A new laptop, although not a top line one, is usually $300 to $600 at Best Buy now.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

This is why you never use a personal laptop for your job if you are a paid staffer.

4. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I use an old Dell POS for just this reason. I've been lucky, so far, but I know the moment I take out my good laptop (the one with all the keys still on it), I'll be in the market for a new, new computer.

5. SeanKennedy

SeanKennedy Member

So it's a personal laptop? Not one from work?

I'd imagine that the company would help you out with that. Depending on the company, of course.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

You're probably right about getting a new one.

The only problem is getting anything off the old laptop that he may want to keep.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If you are a staffer and are issued a company laptop but were using your own for some reason or are a stringer and using a personal laptop, I'd say you are screwed.

If you are a staffer and are using your own because the company doesn't provide one, I can't imagine they'd spring to fix yours.

So, unless you have a kindly boss who is willing to find a way to slide some bucks on the side, I'd say you're on your own.

8. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

To summarize ...

- Yes, it's a personal laptop.

- While not a cheapo, it's only a year old and cost about $600.

- I have some important documents on there and a ton of music (over 1,500 albums) but luckily have it all backed up.

- I work for a CNHI rag, so I know better than to even ask for help.

- Yea, I probably should've used a used computer instead.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

On the whole personal laptop vs company one, I used to believe that you should always use the company's if they paid for it, but not anymore.

For me, my laptop is my office. I can't do anything without it. So I want one that does everything I want it to, and meets all of my requirements for size, speed, memory, etc. If the company won't give me what I need, I'll use my own.

The other benefit to that is I don't have to worry about what software I put on there or if I want to play online poker with it, etc. I also know I'll have copies of all my documents and stories when I go to another job.

At my last job, they gave me one but I didn't even use it because it was big enough to land a helicopter on.

The downside is minimal. Laptops nowadays rarely require any sort of service. (Mine is 4 years old and it's never needed anything.) This sort of incident, an errant basketball, is kind of a freak thing.

When sitting in a baseball press box, I always joke that it's my dream to have a foul ball hit my laptop because a) I won't have to work that night and b) I'll get a new laptop.

10. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If I'm on the road, I'll take my personal and work laptops. I'll leave the personal laptop in the trunk during the game. For work, you just need a working wireless adapter and Internet browser to get your job done.

11. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Computer shows are good places to find cheap, used computers. They are a couple years old, a little outdated, but most have wireless Internet cards and are perfectly fine for filing stories. They run about $100 to $200. I troll computer shows from time to time looking for cheap and refurbished computer stuff. Might be worth a look.

12. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

Data recovery is the easy part. Just get a SATA to USB cable (I got one for $10 on eBay last time my computer took a dump) and easily recovered everything off my hard drive. Just check the manual to make sure you've got the right SATA specs. As far as buying a new computer, go to BestBuy to check stuff out, but you'll almost always get a better price on Amazon.

Draft saved Draft deleted