1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The (perhaps running) quitting journalism and going to law school thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Clever username, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

How long does it take to get an MBA compared to a law degree?

2. An MBA is two years at most places (Pitt's is one year, I think).

Law is three years.

Most schools now have a combined JD/MBA program that you can do in four.

3. audreyld

audreyld Guest

Most MBAs are year-long programs, most law schools are three, though I know of some which are four.

4. I'm actually waiting on my LSAT score right now - took it a couple weeks ago. Should get it back on Friday.

And I've started reviewing math for the GMAT.

Gotta cover those bases, but it's tough to be on the wrong side of 30 and realize that you either have to get out of your current business, or risk being laid off with two kids and a mountain of bills in a few years.

The depressing part is that you can never be a young, idealistic hot shot again. Whatever I go into next, if I go into something else that is, it won't be with the hopes of becoming a star in it. That ship has sailed. And at this age, there won't be any turning back this time.

It's a scary time for all of us.

5. Maybe there are one-year MBAs, but the ones that you can actually cash in are two.

There are a lot of shitty business schools out there.

6. audreyld

audreyld Guest

My apologies. I should have said, "The only MBA program I have any real experience with is a one-year accelerated program, and I erred in assuming it was representative of most programs."

:)

7. That's probably a big part of it. When I've considered it myself, I spend about 23 out of the 24 hours of the day soul-searching the reason. Because I know that "prestige" might be part of it.

As far as the idea of architecture school goes - and I know you were just using an example, but this is what I wanted to do when I was in high school before I decided that I wanted to be a writer instead - it pays for shit. Starting average architect salary is like $24K. Sound familiar? Average architect salary is like $56K. Sounds great, until you consider the money and time you'd have to dump into going back for the degree.

8. In Exile

In Exile Member

Unless writing is a burning ambition, don't go into journalism, and unless the law is a burning ambition, don't go to law school unless you can get into a very good one and then want to/can afford to live in a large metropolitan area, and then plan on being a mercenary for cash. For every person that became wealthy as an attorney there are a lot of people who did not. Check it out, but nationwide, the median salary for attorney is less than $70,000. I have a friend who did the law school thing at age forty, giving up a job that was earning him $70+. He went to an urban law school, part time, now lives in a rural area and has been practicing four years. This year, he might make $50,000, which is the state average here, but he doesn't answer his phone at home because the debt collectors are like pit bulls. He is in default for more than $100,000 in student loans and speaks every day about how much he hates it, but now he can't afford to do anything else.

It's not like TV.

9. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

While we're discussing this stuff, I thought I'd advertise for feedback on writing books.

It just seems to me that I'd have an easier time transitioning into that sort of writing than I would going into an entirely new field.

I realize that not everyone is going to become a famous novelist. But there are lots of areas to explore. I know of a lot of folks have written sports books and some things beyond that realm.

I think we've had a Jones post here. Can you tell us whether someone who is a skilled writer might be able to leave the newspaper world and discover a decent career in writing biographies or novels or how-to books or even just editing a cookbook?

I think lots of folks would be willing to make that transition, and without really expecting that there would be riches in the future. After all, journalists tend to be fairly modest folks when it comes to income.

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I've worked at a private university for about six months now. After a year, I can take classes for $5 an hour. I meet with the grad school today to look at the feasability of an MBA.

I have EIGHT foundation courses (calc, quantative methods, accounting bullshit, etc ... fortunately, math was a stronger suit for me in high school, but that was a long fuckin' time ago.) I need before starting grad classes. The MBA here can be achieved in 18 months.

Law school doesn't do anything for me. I'm not sure an MBA does either, but I'm going to look into and worked toward some degree when the price is right. And a master's in English and/or journalism doesn't interest me.

11. You need prereqs for an MBA? Really? Same as medical school?

12. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I didn't take any business courses in undergrad.

Draft saved Draft deleted