1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The perfect tie knot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Feb 23, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Ah, but that's 2002. I'm sure the four-in-hand has gone out, in, out, in and back out of fashion since then.

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) pretty much sums up my feelings on this nonsense.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Classic style is timeless. As far as knot a lot depends on tie material and thickness as well.

If you are using thinner ties 4 in hand can tend to look not as sophisticated.

3. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

Sorry, I should have been more clear... the grin in my post was meant to go with the "doesn't really have any idea" bit. Just a (very small, and apparently poorly done) attempt at a bit of levity.

I will say I do like variety, though.

4. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

The only thing I think four-in-hand works for is a knit tie, which I have been meaning to buy for several months now. I haven't worn one since high school.
    However, even with a knit tie, I still wear a half windsor.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, never have given much thought to this. My Dad taught me four-in-hand, so that's what I've used. If he had taught half windsor or anything else, that's what I'd be doing.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Same here with me and the full windsor.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Also good if you tear your ACL

Draft saved Draft deleted