1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The perfect tie knot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Feb 23, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Winner. Winner. Chicken dinner.

2. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Judging by my commuter train (although we do have a ton of Wall Streeters) plenty of companies still require ties.

3. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Wow. I envy you working at a place where you only need to wear shirts 40 percent of the time.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

You can always find a nice selection Brooks Brothers and Paul Stuart ties in a big basket at the Goodwill store in my area. Once you've looked at them in a good light and determined there are no stains, you can get a really nice tie for $5.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

I guess a lot of companies up here may require a jacket and dress slacks (business casual) but no tie.

I used to know a guy who was a rep for a tie company. He used to sell me his samples (at the end of the season) for about $5.00-$10.00 a pop. Ended up getting about $1000.00 worth of ties for $100.00.

I also have (cue the laughter) a big collection of bow ties....and no, not the pre-tied ones.

But if you know how to wear one, you can pull off the look without looking too tweedy.

6. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I assure you this is certainly not about the quality of the tie. I happen to have a Robert Talbot tie that this happens too as well. It's my most expensive tie and I would have never bought it for myself, but the fact remains, it still ties like my $25 Calvin Klein ties.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Do you tug and tighten throughout the process?

After every step you need to tug on what you have just done.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Don't tug too much. You'll go blind.
    And get chaffed.

9. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

You could end up with shrinkage which is worse than slippage.

10. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

What, you're too fancy for a clip-on?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Tie knot slipping? Either you're not knotting it properly, not tightening the knot after each step or both.

FWIW, I'm a full-Windsor guy and I do either button-down or point collars. Never could warm up to a spread collar. And IMO, while many people successfully pull off the look, a half-Windsor looks undone.

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The only bow tie I own is for a tuxedo and whenever I put on the stupid suit, I pull it out, look at it, realize there is no way in hell I can tie it (I have tried 1,000 times) and I put on the pretied one.

Draft saved Draft deleted