1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The perfect tie knot

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mustangj17, Feb 23, 2010.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Do not do the 4 in 1 for the spread collar. Half-windsor at the minimum.

As for the slippage, its probably the tie material. Poor silk leads to artificially shiny silk, which then leads to slippage.

More than likely you need to go a step up in the $$ department. Really not a problem though. Go to a higher end discount place, Nordstrom Rack (west coast), Filene's Basement (east coast), Off Saks Fifth Avenue, etc. and you can get $90-125 ties for $19.99 or so and those ties will not slip. Look even on eBay (I've bought some nice ones online there; make sure feedback is no less than 98%). Great deals for Robert Talbott or XMI. Good luck.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Nah. I do the fold over (had no idea there was a name for it, let alone four-in-hand), too. It's easy and it's comfortable and it doesn't create a knot that is bigger than your head. Perfectly acceptable to me.

3. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

This.

Then again, I don't know how to tie any other way.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Yeah way too big. I have a couple thicker ties which I could concievably make that fat. However, I've noticed that if I tighten it through every step of the process it isn't too bad.

And to the poster who mentioned the cheap silk, you might be right. Although this has been happening with my Calvin ties too... but those are thinner. It may be a combination of both things.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Geez, I didn't realize I was in the minority preferring the spread collar/full windsor. Then again, trying to find decent looking shirts in a 17 x 36-37, my options are usually limited, so I take what I can get. As for the rare occasions I wear a tie, the half windsor just looks so unfinished to me, and don't even get me started on the four-in-hand.

In my defense, I think Merrill Hoge looks like an idiot in that picture. Guarantee if he unbuttons the jacket, that tie only goes halfway down. Michael Irvin was caught doing this when he took off his coat for a demonstration segment a few years ago. Oops.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I am exclusively a half windsor guy. The spread-collar issue doesn't come up because I am exclusively a button-down collar guy.
    Can't you just tighten the tie now and again through the day?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Could somebody page Frank Ridgeway, SJ's clothes expert, to this thread STAT?

8. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I used a Christmas gift card to buy a really nice spread-collar shirt. Both kids said, "Dad, you know that's going to require a FULL Windsor and not the half you like?" I wore it once with a full, took me forever to get it to look right. Next time, I'm going to give the half a whirl and see how it looks. I much prefer the half windsor.

I don't often do spread collars. As a "bigger" kind of guy, I've always been told spreads draw attention to your waist. Not really, salesman said (and kids agreed) - not like horizontal stripes (which I wouldn't wear anyway). This shirt has vertical pin stripes and I must say is as nice a shirt as any I own.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Same happened to me the first time, but if you get better at it, you can get a full, symetrical knot and still have it reach your beltline.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I like the four in hand for most shirts but I gotta ask, how many places require a shirt and tie these days other than Bay St/Wall Street bankers?

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I wear a shirt and tie about 40 percent of the time.
    Sometimes with a jacket, sometimes with a sweater.
    Usually with jeans or other casual pants, chinos, whatever.

Draft saved Draft deleted