1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Perfect Line-up

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Mar 17, 2007.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'll go with another tweaking of what we've already seen.

1) Ichiro Suzuki, RF
    2) Chase Utley, 2B
    3) Albert Pujols, 1B
    4) Travis Hafner, DH
    5) Alex Rodriguez, 3B
    5) Carlos Beltran, LF
    7) Vernon Wells, CF
    8 ) Joe Mauer, C
    9) Jose Reyes, SS

All I did was put Hafner between Pujols and Rodriguez. He's a much better hitter than Beltran. Utley stays in the two spot over Beltran because he's going to hit for a higher average and it's not like he clogs up the basepaths. He stole 15 bases and was second in the major leagues in runs scored with 131 (behind Sizemore's 134).

I agree with Ichiro in the leadoff spot and Reyes ninth because Reyes still doesn't walk enough and he still has too many 0-for-5's.

What about the perfect starting rotation. I ended up with only one lefty and four right-handers, but no lefty other than Santana is close to the top five.

1. Johan Santana
    2. Chris Carpenter
    3. Brandon Webb
    4. Roy Oswalt
    5. Roy Halladay

2. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Can't we start a sub-board for fantasy sports?

3. Tweaked the final spot.

4. Every pitching staff needs a borderline psycho. :D

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I considered Zambrano there, too. Not a huge difference between the two. Halladay has been better for a longer period of time. Zambrano has been healthier.

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Sizemore strikes out too much and doesn't quite have the glove that Vernon Wells does. Even though Vladdy-Daddy hits for average and power, this line-up needs a leadoff hitter that can grind out at-bats, take walks and steal bases. Plus, Guerrero is about average in the field if you take away his Howitzer, and even that isn't all that b/c he's been known to air-mail a few now and then. Not only does Suzuki have a canon, but he's also very accurate and a helluva lot more mobile.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Figured the guy with Phila in his screen name would have found a way to get Ryan Howard into the line up. I love Hafner, and I realize he is a real DH (although supposedly they are going to get him in at first more this year), but damn, Howard went ROY and MVP in his first two seasons. He may not be Pujols, but hell, buy him a small glove and take your chances with him at second base, if necessary.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Apparently Mr. Ragu, you missed the "Yank" in my name, which is where my true allegiance lies. Pujols is a better defensive first baseman, more mobile and can actually reach double figures in stolen bases. Hafner is more consistent and a better judge of the strike zone, if you compare his K/BB ratios with Howard. Howard's a great guy, but if I want the best starting nine, Pujols is manning first and Pronk's my DH.

Since we already have a starting five rotation, how 'bout a bullpen? Mo's my closer with Joe Nathan and B.J. Ryan as set-up men.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

See, you called me Mr. Ragu. I like that, even if it rhymes with Mr. Magoo. I don't get nearly enough respect like that around here.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Had Zambrano on my roto team for 2 years. He's a nutcase who's numbers never really stack up like they should.

11. Matt Foley

Matt Foley Member

1.Willie Mays-Hayes, CF
    2.Benny "The Jet" Rodriguez, U
    3.Pedro Cerrano, RF
    4.Steve Nebraska, U
    5.Ray Kinsella, F
    6.Ray Liotta, SJJ
    7.Hamilton Porter, C
    8.Susan Sarandon, G
    9.Henry Rowengardner, P

12. buckweaver