1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Perfect Beer for NFL Teams

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 5, 2013.

1. I enjoyed reading this.
    The perfect beer for each NFL team ...

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/59431358/

Baltimore made me howl.

I thought the Patriots choice was too obvious, but it was stiill funny.

2. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Love Tanier's work. Funny and insightful. Former HS math teacher that is relatively new to sports writing but hit the big time fast. As a sidebar Joe Flacco was one of his students.

His Monday column in football season is better than MMQB

3. Boom_70

"Nothing says "depressing upstate New York nowheresville" like Genesee Cream Ale, the perfect beer to pair with deer jerky, a pickled egg, and crippled aspirations. "

4. Boom_70

"Such was the world I entered circa 1990, when a friend introduced me to Iron City and IC Light while visiting his family in Erie, Pennsylvania. Iron City was an institution in Steelers country, with many fans proudly displaying their collection of commemorative cans from the 1970s Super Bowl teams. The IC I drank that fateful week was probably brewed in 1978, and may have been filtered through L.C. Greenwood's tube socks. The beer had a harsh, medicinal aftertaste, but the worst thing about it was its mouth feel. It was oily, as if the beer had separated like salad dressing. But it was 90 cents per can at a downtown bar, so many painful cans and draft glasses were choked down."

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Natty "Bo"?

My Baltimoron friends will not be happy.

6. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Heavy Seas Beer brewed in Baltimore by Clipper City is really pretty good. Flying Dog is great and its brewed about 25 miles west in Frederick Maryland. The Brewer's Art is also very good. Both Heavy Seas and The Brewer's Art have pub/bar/restaurants in the city. DuClaw is also pretty local, just north in Harford County and they have a number of great beers and brew-pubs in the area. Dog Fish Head is also great and its brewed in Delaware.

But yeah, Baltimore is a dysfunctional hell hole. Some cool bar areas, Fells Point, Canton, Harbor East, the Little Italy area... but these are little islands surrounded by putrid, decrepit wastelands of hell

7. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

That must have been a fun article to "research" - figure he had to narrow down the list to 32 a bit.
    The Patriots and Cowboys entries were especially spot on.

9. He's right. Spot fucking on... IC suuuuuucks.
    I was hoping he'd go with Rolling Rock. Or even Genessee.

He nailed the Cowboys as well.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Lions fans cannot afford Founders. Instead, the choice should have been a 15-year-old can of Stroh's found in an abandon warehouse.

11. Boom_70

Rolling Rock would have been a good one although I believe that it's now
    brewed in Newark as opposed to Latrobe.

It would be hard though not to go with IC for The Steelers.

Beer is a fascinating marketing study. Many times it's not about the taste but the
    image that the drinker wants to portray.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Moderately successful, strangely reddish in hue, and largely unknown outside of Cincinnati, Mount Carmel Nut Brown Ale is the closest you can ever come to drinking Andy Dalton.

Draft saved Draft deleted