1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The PED double-standard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Dec 29, 2012.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

C'mon, those physiques are just nutrition, protein shakes and good clean living.

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I figured someone would post a picture of Howard, but hasn't he looked pretty much like that his entire career? Guys like him and James have won the genetic lottery, so I'm not sure they help your argument at all.

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

It's pretty well acknowledged that pro football's fascination with steroids started with Sid Gillman's Chargers in the 1960s, when a young Chuck Noll was on the staff.

If other teams or players weren't using them in the '70s, I don't know why they weren't.

BTW, the suspicious Steelers mortality chart makes for interesting fodder, but keep it in context. Steve Courson was admittedly a heavy steroid user, but he died because a tree fell on him.

4. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Maybe that's a symptom of steroid use.

5. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

[​IMG]

We wanna accuse The Admiral of juicing, too?

If the failed tests of guys like Alex Sanchez and Bartolo Colon show us anything, it's that the visual evidence is not particularly useful.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Watch the Lakers of the 1980s for 20 minutes ten watch an NBA game today. It's like watching a jv league.

Basketball, hockey, baseball, football, golf, tennis... they all have top players taking PEDs. I don't think any sport is immune.

Not saying all the top players are, but I would not be surprised it it isn't more than half.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

He probably pulled the tree right out of the ground in a bout of 'roid rage.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

He fucked with the wrong tree.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I know some, but I think you are correct. And nobody seems to care at all about the use in the NFL.

I think LTL raises a good point as well, that people just see NFL bodies as so different from the norm, anyway.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"Dog"
    "Tree"

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

True, but you also have cases such as Mike Webster and Terry Long that have to make you wonder at least a little bit about the long-term effects of steroids on the brain as well as the body.

Maybe the real concern should be the combination of concussions and steroid use. Could that be what led to Webster's deterioration and eventual death and Long's suicide?

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Devil, your comparison completely ignores the significant advances in the last few decades regarding nutrition and physical fitness. The difference is obvious not just for professional athletes but the population at large. Thirty years ago, if you were 6 foot, 200 pounds, you could walk into any public place and often be the biggest, baddest guy there. I'm 6 foot, 235 -- bigger than any of my five older brothers -- and I can't remember the last time I went to a bar or restaurant and at least 20-25 percent of the people there made me look like a little guy. People are just bigger these days, for any number of reasons. I highly doubt many of the 10-12 big guys at P.F. Chang's tonight were on steroids.

Draft saved Draft deleted