1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The PED double-standard

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

Are you suggesting that PED use only affected hitters?

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Oh, I am no expert. I have done some NFL related work, though, and I have had the conversations. At the least, though Lyle Alzado said he began using sometime in the late 1960s. You'd figure he was not alone. There were certainly players in the 1970s using. Some, including Steve Courson, spoke about it.

I don't know why they would have had to come from East Germany. Anabolic steroids are as old as at least the 1930s. And in the 1950s, when it was widely considered that the Eastern Bloc countries had steroid programs, the U.S. supposedly had its own program -- John Ziegler, dianabol, etc.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

In the mid-2000s, Jim Haslett gave an interview about steroid use when he was playing for the Bills 20 years earlier. He said it was common knowledge within the league that the Steelers' juicing gave them a huge edge during their dynasty and that's what got the practice going across the NFL. The league cleaned that story up right quick the next day and now you barely hear anything about it.

Whole lot of dead Steelers from that time, though.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No, but it seems likely that for a brief time, they did more for hitters than pitchers.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I think hitters can get more direct benefit from PEDs than pitchers. With pitchers it's more about durability and injury recovery I think.

6. Dash 7

Dash 7 Member

I'm speaking from ignorance here in many ways, but from what I understand, the greatest effects of PEDs would come from increasing your ability to recover more quickly? Am I off base, here?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Understand why they don't, but I think it's time for the experts to come clean and admit that PED's actually work.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The rise in concussions, to me, is a result of all the drug use in the NFL. Bigger, stronger and faster, but still the same brain and skull.

And has anyone stopped to look at NBA players?

9. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

I've noticed they're pretty tall.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

And black. Do steroids make people tall and black?

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

It worked for Kyle -- until his testicle knees exploded.

12. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont_lie/post/derrick-rose-and-the-nbas-apparent-huge-steroid-problem?urn=nba,wp3662

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted