1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Peacock goes the sassy female route

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Aug 19, 2011.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Have you seen the commercials for the Zooey Deschanel show on FOX? It's like they're trying to get people to dislike her.

I think a Silverman show could be OK, in that it muddles around for a couple years with middling ratings. However, as this thread illustrates, she sure is polarizing, and pretty much all of her stand-up material is off the table for a network sitcom. Her Comedy Central show was equal parts clever and horrifically awkward to me.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm with bubbler.

You'd think you'd want her to rub you the right way, but she just rubs me the wrong way.

She seems unnecessarily annoying -- like Daniel Tosh.

Funny how some comics -- like Dave Chapelle -- can seem sweet no matter what they do, though.

3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Cummings tries too hard. I've found her funny in small clips on Sirius radio, but her act wears thin pretty quickly. Her show might do all right because she's sorta hot. Maybe two seasons.

Silverman's a funny person who doesn't have a clue how to put it to good use. If it's anything like the weird Comedy Central show, it will be nuked from orbit quickly.

4. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I hate that show too. And I have nothing against Zooey, though I don't love her like most do. But that show looks TERRIBLE and she might be the most annoying character in a commercial.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

She is like the polar opposite of Emily in terms of likeability. Maybe they're marketing the show at smug hipsters, except that smug hipsters don't really watch TV, because they're too busy buying new old Keds. The 30-second promos and extended promos I've seen on after "Bones" make it look like the most unwatchable show ever. The commercials are so bad that I have no idea why they were even made.

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I love Deschannel, but the previews for that show look awful.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Silverman's show was brilliant. I'm sure she could be great on a network show, but that doesn't mean she will be.
    Cummings cab be quite funny at times, but I saw a spot for the show and it looked awful.
    I haven't seen anything about a Zooey Deschanel show.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm assuming that Silverman is a midseason replacement since I don't remember hearing anything about it when the Fall lineup was announced. Hell, maybe it will replace Cummings' show after it's canceled.

I hope the show is good, but based on the previews, I'm not optimistic.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This nails my thinking on it.

My god, is Daniel Tosh unnecessarily annoying.

Draft saved Draft deleted