1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Peacock goes the sassy female route

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by jr/shotglass, Aug 19, 2011.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

This undoubtedly is old news, but Sarah Silverman is the latest addition to the NBC prime-time set.

She joins Whitney Cummings, the Christina Applegate/Maya Rudolph combo and Laura Prepon-as-Chelsea Handler on the fall dais.

Sounds like the Peacock is going for the indie crowd. I think the Cummings show could be very promising; I've liked her stand-up.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Isn't this like putting Goodfellas on TV, though? What's the point after you clean up the language?

3. jr/shotglass

Very good point, LTL. From the sounds of the Grantland article, it appears Silverman is going to try to make this more Seinfeld-like.

I hadn't watched the later episodes of her Comedy Central series. Sounds like it sort of imploded into weirdness.

I always associated Silverman with what she tried to do in that one season of SNL. She was the sweet-faced little girl with the twisted sense of reality who came off quite strange. And I believe she cemented that by hooking up with Kimmel.

4. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I hate Sarah Silverman.

5. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

I didn't watch much of the show, but I remember laughing so hard when the two main guy characters called Sara to ask if she wants to go to Best Buy with them because they were having a sale on coax cables.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I love her like I love few other women. And I loved every minute of her CC show.

I'll watch this, no matter what kind of trainwreck it turns out to be.

Whitney, however, looks like the worst show I've seen in a long time. Have yet to find anything in any of the commercials even smirk-worthy.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

That's likely going to be the case with Silverman and Cummings...

I enjoy both of them as standups, but I can't imagine that either will do very well when everything is cleaned up for the networks.

8. jr/shotglass

So, we can all agree that Sarah Silverman is a polarizing figure? ;)

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Silverman's best bet for Network TV success would be to go the David Spade route and play the wise-cracking friend or neighbor or be a part of an ensemble cast. If they surround her with the right people she might be OK, but I wouldn't bet on a second season if the network is always trying to dial her back a few notches...

10. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

so I guess her Matt Damon song won't be the theme song of the show?

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Could she change it to "I'm Loving Matt Damon"?

(Sorry. Just recently heard the R-rated version of the Enrique Iglesias song)

12. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Silverman's show was brilliant and hysterical.

Draft saved Draft deleted