1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Paul Finebaum Show

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Boom_70, Sep 16, 2010.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: The Paul Feimbaum Show

The hatred comes from his pawning himself off as a journalist and people lump you into the same boat. Round here, he sets the bar of what they expect you to be -- a fawning homer.
    One of the TV photogs around here likes to tell the story of the 2004 Auburn-Tennessee game, where he ripped Tennessee and Fulmer on the air, then watched the game on the sidelines in a trench coat and a hat pulled down low so he could hide from the fans in the stands.
    Chickenshit pussy, was his affectionate term.
    He's not important, he's self-important. But because he's in the home of the SEC and the yokels down here love him or hate him but listen to him, he's become the crimson Elephant in the room.

So no, Hejira. It's not penis envy at all. It's being pissed off that A) It's the only choice in town to listen to in that timeslot if you don't have Sirius/XM and want to listen to a sports show, B) He's what people expect us to be because they don't know any better and C) he's a Nick Saban apologist.

One more: Over the summer, the state sports writers association named Mark Ingram as its amateur athlete of the year and was to present him the award at the annual convention. Finebaum derided it on the air "Ohhhh, you won a Heisman? Great! The ASWA athlete of the year? Oooooh. Wow. That's even more important."
    I told one of the officers of the association about it and he shook his head. "You know why he did that, don't you? He wants us to put him in our hall of fame and we won't. So he's all pissy. I don't even think he belongs to the association, but he wants us to put him in for the one column a week he does?"

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Fair enough. I'm sure if I thought hard enough about it, I disliked him a lot more when I heard him every day than I do now, when I hear him once a week or so.

That point is valid. Fans down there are fucking stupid, so yeah, they do expect the good, hard-working, non-homerish journalists (the few that are left) to be just like him.

When I lived in Bama, I cringed when I listened to him. Now, I laugh my ass off.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

He lives to piss off the Auburn fans and when he's called on it or someone challenges his facts, he backpedals faster than Boots on a unicycle.

4. JackReacher

It's amazing how he still gets half-decent guests, though. I heard ...who was it...Tim Brando? the other day. Dude was a great, great guest. Was going back and forth with a bunch of the idiot callers, swatting their ill-informed - and often just plain stupid - opinions away like gnats.

Then again, I remember the show that came on before Slimebaum's, a bunch of Bammers from Mobile, I believe. The Sports Table or something dumb like that. I'd take Slimebaum any day before those idiots.

5. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

i've had people tell me that some of his alleged callers are actually on his payroll. I have no proof, just passing along what I've been told.

6. JackReacher

Yeah. Aren't there like four or five donks that call in every damn day with their 5-minute verbal diarrhea?

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

He clearly has a lot of Kool Aid drinkers for listeners. Much of talk this week has centered around Mike Leach saying that Bama is not a top 5 team.

8. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Paul plays the 'flavor of the day' routine very often and discusses what's hot at the moment.
    He did analyze the Auburn/MSU game by saying these 'big-stage' games have not traditionally gone well for MSU.
    This one didn't either. Paul was right on that one.
    He's not nearly as bad as some of you have painted him to be.
    He's not great either.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

But that's also typical Finebaum -- master of the obvious and breaks his arm patting himself on the bak when he's right.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

He's made out pretty well over the past 20 years or so doing his schtick.

11. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

This is also good perspective on the sports climate of the SEC. Who outside of the South thought Auburn/Miss. State was "the big stage" ? I watched a lot of college football last weekend and wasn't aware that game was played until you mentioned it.

12. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I find the show entertaining and real window into how southerners view their football and the SEC.

Could see where if you live in area it might not be as engaging over time. Much like how many in NY area view Francesa.

The other day Vince Dooley's wife was on. What a stitch she is.

Draft saved Draft deleted