1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The passing of a noble hound

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ink-stained wretch, Sep 24, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I second those who say to consider getting a new dog soon, as strange as that idea might seem right now. They say that if you don't do it right away, you'll never do it.

I lost my 16-year-old Golden a couple of years ago, and just because of the timing with my beat, the best time for me to train a new dog was in the months immediately following. I got a dog from the pound about a month after my previous dog died, and have never regretted it. He in no way is a replacement, but I love having a dog around and he has kept that void from hitting me in the face every day.

2. Colton

Colton Active Member

Inky: What a wonderful, heartfelt tribute.

I'm going to give Rocky (dog) and Zach (cat) a hug when I get home this morning.

So sorry for your loss...

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Ink, I feel you. Hang in.
    My big girl died Aug. 23 and I haven't been right since. I keep trying to follow my own advice. People tell me it will get easier. Still waiting. The next day I don't cry will be the first.
    Cancer here, too. Had no clue until she couldn't hide the pain anymore. And then it was too late.
    Best friend I've ever had, by far. Best friend I ever will have.
    Only good news is I'm finally losing some weight because I can't eat anymore.
    I loved that dog like it was nobody's business. Even better, she loved me (and all of us) the same way times 100. I sit in my car for a while when I get home now because I can't bear the thought of opening the door and not having Zinger there to about knock me over.

Sorry, not trying to bring you (or anyone) down. Just know I understand. Get in touch if you need anything.

4. Colton

Colton Active Member

I'm a masochist, I admit it: I just watched "My Dog, Skip" after replying to Inky's post.

Niagara Falls, I now resemble...

5. Giggity

Giggity Member

Fuck, man. Praising your writing isn't going to help. But I'm crying for your dog. I'm sorry.

6. KG

KG Active Member

They always leave pawprints on our hearts.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. 21

21 Well-Known Member

I couldn't even read this yesterday, too too sad. ISW, my great friend, as always you grace this board with your presence. Sending condolences to you and your family.

8. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

My Sparky Boy is 13 and at some point will go into congestive heart failure due to a murmur. I know the day is coming, and I dread it. Time to give him his medicine and sing "The Sparky Boy Song," which he happily ignores as he gobbles down his food/medicine mix.

I don't know your loss, and I fear the day it comes. I don't think I'll get another dog when he goes. But that could change. My condolences for your loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted