1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The passing of a noble hound

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by ink-stained wretch, Sep 24, 2008.

1. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Wretch -- We've got a dog nearing that time. She's 13 now, with problems. Maybe we have another year or two if we're lucky. Got her as a pup and she's as much a part of our family as me, the wife or the kids. Hell, probably more than me because I'm gone a lot.

I know the day's coming, and I dread it about as much as I've ever dreaded anything. Even when contemplating it, I get shaky. When it happens, I would hope I could pay her the kind of beautiful tribute you paid yours, but I doubt it. Very well done, and sorry for the loss to you and your family.

2. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

When i was five weeks old to the day, the dog that would become our mutt was born... 1/2 pekinese, 1/4 pom, 1/4 whoknows... She was with our family from about eight weeks old until the fateful day my sophomore year in high school...

Wretch, that was some seriously good writing and boy, did it hit home.

3. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I loved my old greyhound, Harrison. I still have a DVD of his races and a printout of results from his career. I loved how he won a couple races here and there, moved up the ladder, completely sucked against the best dogs, moved back down the ladder all the way to the point of re-training races, where one day he just pulled up on the backstretch. DNF, as if to say, "screw this, I'm ready for someone's living room."

My wife and I took him in, and after a year it was just him and me when the wife moved 1000 miles away for a new job. I stayed back to sell the house and work a couple more months, then Harrison and I traveled north together to a new life. I'll never forget that drive -- stopping often along the way, spending the night at a dumpy motel that took dogs, feeding him his first White Castle as we neared our new home. Ultimately, we gave him up for adoption when our first baby arrived (Harrison wasn't great with small kids), and boy did I cry the day I had to take him away. I hope he is happy, wherever he is.

4. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

Sorry for you. I may yell at Murphy and shoo him away when I'm frustrated, but I fear strongly the day that old man passes on.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Sorry for the loss, ISW.

The immediate household is pet-free - good reason for that - but the pet threads remind me of my step-grandmother, one of the ultimate champions of pets who died a few months back. She would love these stories, with ISW's no exception.

6. The Granny

The Granny Guest

Sorry for the loss. It's been a year since my 15-year-old diabetic cat succumbed to his six-year fight.

I miss him so much some days it makes me so sick that I can't even hop on The Grandpa for a joy ride.

7. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Hang in there, Inky, and try to remember that you gave him a great life.

When I get home, I shall tip a glass for Ty.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

that was a beautiful tribute, Inky (same name as my childhood cat, who left us fairly quickly as well).

My younger cat stole my recliner, so I'm sitting on the floor typing this as she alternates between licking herself and squawking at me. I wouldn't do this for a human, that's for fuckin sure.

I agree with Mizzou: Anyone who minimizes the loss of a pet is an ass.

9. huntsie

huntsie Active Member

Lost our beloved dog of 18 years about five years ago. There's not a day goes by that I don't think of him. About three years ago, when we thought we were ready, we went to the same shelter on a whim and got a beautiful little husky mix. She is my companion and my friend and I am lucky to be graced again by such a wonderful pet.
    All of which is to say...treasure the memories and never forget. But in time, perhaps you will be ready to open your heart and your home to another wonderful companion.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sorry to read about your loss. You wrote a wonderful tribute for your family member.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

good story....

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

wretch - i'm sorry.

i lost mine after 12 years to the same damn thing in 2002. we still haven't been able to "replace" her, which probably wasn't the right choice in retrospect. we've carried a monster void for six years.

i hope you make a better choice than we did and choose to share you home and life once again without letting too much time pass.

Draft saved Draft deleted