1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The paper of tomorrow, the Oklahoman

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Sep 30, 2008.

1. Moondoggy

Moondoggy Member

The newspaper of tomorrow will be read on cell phones and Twitter.

2. Jones

Jones Active Member

"All The News That Fits in My Stomach"

3. FuturaBold

FuturaBold Member

the use of prairie, sundown, brick and tall grass colors on section fronts is what hooked me....

Seriously, give me something interesting, thought-provoking, entertaining, challenging to read and I'll buy it. Show me a crappy product, no matter how creatively packaged, and I won't buy it... pretty simple...

4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Dammit! You mean I could have just bought a paper instead of lugging this thing around?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. Hookem06

Hookem06 New Member

Solid.

6. silentbob

silentbob Member

Were people really not buying the newspaper because it was too big?

I've heard a lot of complaints, but I have never heard "I quit reading the paper because it was too damn big. I needed something smaller."

7. "Too many words. Not enough pictures!"

8. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Making The Oklahoman look good is kind of like putting a pile of dogshit on a designer dinner plate.

9. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

June 11, 2041: In a matter of weeks, the entire Internet is replaced by "news blow," a granular microbe that allows information to be snorted, injected, or smoked. Data can now be synthesized into a water-soluble powder and absorbed directly into the cranial bloodstream, providing users with an instantaneous visual portrait of whatever information they are interested in consuming (Sadly, this tends to be slow-motion images of minor celebrities going to the bathroom.) Now irrelevant, an ocean of Web pioneers lament the evolution: "What about the craft?" they ask to no one in particular. "What about the inherent human pleasure of moving one's mouse across a hyperlink, not knowing that a simple click might teach you? Whatever happened to ironic thirty-word capsule reviews about marginally popular TV shows? Have we lost this forever?" "You just don't get the new media," respond the news-blowers. "You just don't get it."
    -- Chuck Klosterman, Esquire, October, 2008

10. I think when it comes to the recent redesigns, with the exception of Orlando, The Oklahoman is one of the best. Only looking at A1 is leaving out a lot of the rest of the paper. The approach to the section fronts and inside pages are done very well.

And the paper launched its new Web site, which is much, much better than the old one. They're doing the right thing, presentation-wise. Reader feedback on the redesign has been good.

Draft saved Draft deleted