1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pain Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Write-brained, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Doctors cut my stomach open yesterday. Minor surgery but now it feels like something with very sharp claws has burrowed into my belly.

I'm going to be laid up for a while. Tell me about your worst injury or what's the worst pain you've been in - describe it as best you can (I'm giving myself a pass since I'm still in said pain).

It'll make me feel better if I can point at one of you and say "At least that didn't happen to me."

I'm going to take a medically induced nap now ...

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Pain don't hurt. [/Dalton]

3. I'll stretch the rules a bit to include the grossest injury that happened to a friend of mine.

When I was in middle school, skateboards and BMX were the rage. We had a neighbor who built a plywood half-pipe in the back yard. It was solid. A thing of beauty. I dropped off on it a couple of times on my board, though Tony Hawk I wasn't.

We had another neighborhood kid about four years older than me. A real wild dude who was good on a bike.

Well, he drops off on the half-pipe with his Mongoose and makes a couple of passes. He gets some air but on his final pass his back wheel hits the top of the half-pipe. Here's the gross part:

His seat catches hold of his scrotum that was dangling in his Bermuda shorts and rips it as he goes tumbling off. Blood everywhere. Everywhere. Sickest thing I've ever seen. Those orange Bermuda shorts were just soaked red.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Serious answer: It's a three-way tie. I tore every tendon and ligament in my left ankle playing basketball. I tore my rotator cuff playing baseball. And I had a wisdom tooth pulled sans anesthetic because the three novocaine shots didn't work.

5. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

This thread is gonna be like the TV show "Scarred" - I just can't watch it.

Ouch. ;(

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

ok, if hearing about other people's problems makes you feel better about yourself, be glad you're not my grandpa:

gramps had a craniotomy yesterday in which they removed a tumor on his brain. unfortunately they could only remove 25 percent of it without impairing its function, which is already limited. gramps is an amazingly strong man despite being 82; he was out of the hospital only a week after having two valves replaced in his heart (a few years ago) and better than ever. that said, despite the surgery's success, the overall prognosis is not good: 6-8 months to live because the cancer has spread. three weeks ago, he was fine (although they told us yesterday that the tumor had been in there for at least six months, maybe longer).

7. bagelchick

bagelchick Active Member

You haven't lived until you've had liposuction and a tummy tuck.

8. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Where's Cadet to talk about her ex and his butterflied penis?

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

You started the wrong thread, my friend...

The first scare that I had was when I was pitching and took a come-backer off the side of the skull. It looked like a golf ball was going to pop out of my head. Just missed my temple, too.

I've had two shoulder surgeries to repair a labrum that was fucked up from gawd-awful mechanics and not enough time in the weight room. It was hurting me again early this year, so I told myself to not even go through the pitching motion. Since then, no pain. (Duh!) I've also had an elbow surgery to remove bone spurs and a knee surgery that cost me 60% of my cartilage. Also have jammed all my fingers at least twice b/c of wrestling, nearly broke my neck when I stuck it out on a fireman's carry during my first ever week of practice back in the 8th grade, then hyper-extended my left elbow in the first match of my senior year. I kept on wrestling and pinned the kid, but then had to face the #1 see of the tourney. Not fun.

But the king of them all happened when I was rehabbing from my second shoulder surgery. Things were progressing well enough that I was able to start going through my motion again. The rehab place has plenty of room where they have the weights and such, so one day I bring my pro-style SLR camera and have my therapist take pictures of me going through my motion. Now, when I used to pitch, I pushed off hard on my right leg and I ends up way up in the air with the force I generate, but I don't spin off since I USUALLY have my left foot come down in the right area. Well this time, my left foot was close to the middle of my body, causing me to "throw" across my body. As I spun around, my head was down and all I could see was this 2" steel post -- which holds the 45-lbs plates for leg extensions -- coming right for my left eye. Nothing I could do about it, so THUD goes my face.

My trainer rushes over to see if I'm OK, and I just start cackling like a lunatic, laughing my ass off & saying "Good fucking grief! How do you get hurt while doing physical therapy?!" After putting an ice bag on it, it looked nothing more than if I had taken a good punch. But the corner of my cheek bone is now flattened. So as I write at this very moment, I have a broken face, but since I'm a Polack, it's actually an improvement.

Draft saved Draft deleted