1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Pacific

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Just_An_SID, Mar 15, 2010.

1. Just_An_SID

Just_An_SID Well-Known Member

Wondering if anybody watched the first episode tonight on HBO?

I have been waiting for it to come for awhile but forgot to add HBO.

Anybody have a link to watch online?

2. Oscar Gamble

Oscar Gamble New Member

The Pacific: Episode 1 - Guadalcanal/Leckie

Directly following the attack on Pearl Harbor, Sergeant John Basilone ships out to fight the enemy somewhere in the Pacific, and a young journalist called Robert Leckie enlists in the Marine Corps. Sidney Phillips ships off to boot camp after saying farewell to his friend Eugene Sledge, who cannot go with him due to a heart murmur. Eight months later, Phillips and Leckie, having completed boot camp are sent to secure a airfield on Guadalcanal, and to help defend it against counterattack.

http://www.wisevid.com/play?v=3tbv8vb5z-bb

Also:

http://www.zshare.net/video/73721164a41d124d/

3. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

About to watch it. Looks fannnnnnntastic.

4. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Watched it. Enjoyed the hell out of it.

Then again, I'm not surprised. Everything Hanks does for HBO is outstanding.

Jaw-dropping moment: When I realized the guy who plays Eugene Sledge (the one whose father won't let him enlist) played the little kid in Jurassic Park.

5. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I must admit with the amount of quality WWII movies and TV shows produced over the last 15 years or so, I really have a hard time getting interested in any of this stuff anymore. From what it looks like after watching the first episode, I'm not sure if the series will capture and hold my interest for the duration. Not to say that it's bad or poorly made, it's just that I feel like I've been there before.

6. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Having just finished the re-air of Band of Brothers, I'm foaming at the mouth to watch The Pacific.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Agree (as opposed to the can't-be-banned-fast-enough "this").

I thought the show was pretty pedestrian; even the battle scene was a bit boring. The script sounded like it was written by the dude who penned Avatar. I swear I heard one of the jarheads say, "You're not in Kansas anymore, this is Pandora, I mean Guadalsomething."

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Robert Leckie went to the same HS and church I did. I'm appalled that the church shown in the opening scene was not that actual church, but a mere substitute.

I don't know if I can believe the rest of the series now.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

One thing that carried BOB was the cast, the same guys episode to episode. You really got to know Winters, Mixon, Buck, etc.

I've read that in the Pacific, because of the different nature of the war in that theatre, that they can't do that because there was so much changeover in the unit from battle to battle because of the staggering losses, so the cast is constantly changing.

10. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The zshare linked above also works real well.

I'll check out the HBO link for episode two, which I'm assuming would make it on tomorrow.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Never could get fired up about following the war in the Pacific. Was always a huge devotee of the ETO, but not so much the Pacific.

Draft saved Draft deleted