1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Owner Needs Someone to Pay for a New Facility

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LanceyHoward, Aug 11, 2016.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I hope the voters tell that fucker to blow a dead rat.

2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

What do you have against dead rats?

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Voters have no one to blame but themselves.

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

King County voters narrowly rejected the taxing plan for Safeco Field in 1995. But the vote was close enough that the legislature went ahead and passed a taxing plan to pay for it.

5. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

A tax for a new football stadium in San Diego will be an interesting vote. The Padres conned the fans into building Petco Park with a World Series season, but there is no love lost for the Spanos family and even though, I believe, the stadium would be paid for through hotel taxes, I bet it doesn't pass.

6. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I don't think that has much of a chance to pass at all, especially considering it has to get a two-thirds majority.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The Diamondbacks case is fascinating to me. If they are expecting a public groundswell of support for a new stadium -- or even for the county to pay for renovations -- they're high.

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

How many arenas have the Coyotes had ? Three? Four?

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Unlike the NFL formerly with Los Angeles, baseball has no golden-goose market that teams can use to leverage a ransom. The D-backs are kind of stuck. Vegas maybe?

The Rangers are a unique case because there were rumblings about Dallas stepping up to build a downtown park and Arlington responded.

10. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Two. And they have had legit issues. Their need to move (then and now) is reasonable. That's not the same as saying taxpayers should spring for it, of course.

11. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

Think the team will just build an arena on ASU property and have ASU basketball and hockey play there, or are you guessing the Salt River Reservetion?

12. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

IIRC they're looking at a combo arena, most likely downtown, for the Suns and Coyotes. The Suns' arena is what, 25 years old? Also IIRC, it's just down the road from Chase Field. The Coyotes left because it was a bad arena for hockey.

Draft saved Draft deleted