1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The oversharing of vacation photos

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

hmm

screengrab now going up on my Linked In page

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Theory:

A lot of modern women, particularly women in their 30s and 40s, harbor fantasies of becoming a "lifestyle brand" like Racheal Ray and many others I couldn't possibly begin to name. Even if it's only among friends in their Facebook circle, it's still fun for them to play-act at it, and dream about hitting it big some day.

We know about the travel friend that inspired this thread. My wife also has a childhood neighbor who a few times a week posts videos of herself and her husband working out, and will supplement it with lengthy posts where we are supposed to learn about life lessons from her. I don't even think she's trying to hide it - I think she has some workout business she tries to recruit people into.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

certified life coach

4. Dick Whitman

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

My experience has so far been the opposite. That "life coaching" is a fallback career for men in their 50s and 60s who get cut loose from the executive suite and have nowhere else to monetize their "leadership" training. It dovetails with the "consultancy" they run from their den.

I suppose "life coach" sounds better than "unlicensed stranger giving advice."

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I know a couple of life coaches. They are the people who have the least control over their own lives of anyone I know.

7. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

FTFY

8. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

She must be hiding it a little bit if you can't tell what the business is from the videos she posts.

9. Dick Whitman

"Beach Body" something or another. Everybody's little fitness start-up is "Beach Body" something. She does hide it somewhat, I guess. I think that's by design. She post herself working out, then lengthy testimonials about her "journey." Then, if you "like" it - Boom! - you get a PM along the lines of, "Thank you so much for the recent 'like' on my such-and-such post. How are things for you these days?" Which is a set-up to pitch her business.

10. Dick Whitman

She's nice, though. And her husband is a fucking Texas Hold 'Em shark. Cleaned me out one night a few years back. He also got into some trouble with the SEC over an alleged pyramid scheme and damn near put a lot of people into bankruptcy (and prison) in the process.

11. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

This should be in the inside cover of Lane Kiffin's autobiography.

12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

JDV have a twin sister?

Draft saved Draft deleted