1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The original dot com collapse?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by scribebaseball, Nov 29, 2006.

1. I was reading the New Yorker story on Lou Dobbs and about how he originally had left CNN to run Space.com, which is still operational and somehow survived the "dot com burst," which is constantly written about. Forgive me for my naivete - I think I was pretty much just getting out of college and getting my feet wet in the world when this happened, and proudly ignorant at the time of anything going on outside the realm of sports (I've changed a lot since then).

What exactly happened in '98-'99 in regards to the Internet? If there was this big collapse, how come the Internet is so omnipresent now? Just looking for a Cliff Notes version - I know I can look it up, but I prefer a conversational rather than academic explanation.

2. leo1

leo1 Active Member

the internet didn't collapse. the valuation of internet companies collapsed. everyone and their sister were starting companies and throwing out massive salaries and stock options. people were investing paying zero attention to the actual numbers that one must consider when investing. for a short time, a ton of people got rich working in online ventures and investing in them. then it collapsed because no one was making any money from the internet.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

It was '99-'00. Mostly '00. It sucked. I'm still digging out of debt from it.

The big collapse occured when venture capitalists figured it wasn't the smartest thing in the world to throw millions of dollars at people who had ideas and nothing else. So we went from a wild wild west where you could get paid for writing about anything to a Jelenican wet dream in which "writing for exposure" was the new buzzphrase.

That's not changing anytime soon, even if writing on the Internet is a sturdier proposition.

4. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Probably the greatest gauge of the popping of the doc.com bubble is the fact that the NASDAQ is doing well at around 2300-2400 yet it was over 5000 in the 1999-2000 era.

Companies that had no assets were trading at unbelievable heights. And, of course, the bubble eventually burst.

5. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

I invested my life savings in pets.com. (pause, pause) Not!

6. By the way, I disagree with your quote tagline. The country needs farmers and steel workers and teachers, too. There just aren't enough CEO jobs to go around. Some people don't mind the middle-class life, and that's OK. And the CEOs of the world who are making out like bandits, if not legally at least morally, SHOULD reinvest some of that money the free-market system allowed them to make back into the free-enterprise system that made it possible.

If you're willing to work 40 hours a week, you should be able to support a family and your children should at least have the opportunity, should they choose that pursuit, to rise to that CEO level, not be beaten from Day 1.

End of political rant, back to dot com history lesson.

7. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

I've read this post several times, and I really can't figure out what it's about, or what inspired it.

I'm so confused. I feel bad about contributing to a threadjack, but seriously...this is a mystery.

8. This tagline from Old_Tony:

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you vote for Democrats." -- old_tony

I didn't like what it implies about the middle class.

9. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

It's a spoof of a Kerry "joke." It was in all the papers. Happened like a week before the election.

Between the dotcom thing and this, I'm kind of wondering if you're just putting us all on. Which, for the record, would be hilarious. Seriously.

10. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

Sorry scribe. It's simply a paraphrase of the famous John Kerry quote about our troops. I just changed "end up in Iraq" to "vote for Democrats." Most here would have picked up on that.

Edit: As, obviously, Wingman picked up on it.

11. Ah ... I get it now. OK, that's fair. It was a stupid thing for him to say.

12. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

I'll tell you what happened-and I saw a lot of it go down in San Francisco.

People were retiring off their stock options at age 25.

They were throwing incredibly lavish parties in incredibly posh office spaces. I saw hundreds of $800 Herman Miller Aeron chairs in plastic, ready to be used at these parties. I saw drinks spilled on them and blow snorted by people sitting in them. I also saw those same unused chairs auctioned off.

Instead of paying vendors for their time, goods and services, oftentimes, they would pay via stock options, which weren't worth the money they were printed on. Hard goods paid for by fake money.

And sometimes, they went over the top in acquiring technology. Webvan, while a fantastic idea, ordered over a billion dollars worth of stuff to automate their warehouses. Amazon did the same, until they were smart enough to liquidate the technology and the merchandise, instead, partnering with retail stores to let the stores themselves handle it.

Crazy, heady shit.

Draft saved Draft deleted