1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The organic food thing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I do that. (Not this specific place, but a place like it.) Yes, it's terrific for taste and more easily digested. Yes, there's a bottle deposit. No, it's not organic.

One popular thing that's not organic: Grass-fed beef. Expensive and I'm not entirely sure why.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Cows eat grass naturally. They don't eat corn and byproducts.

To run a cattle farm profitably, they have to raise as many cattle as fast as possible. They don't get very much per cow. So they try to fatten them up as quickly as possible, as cheaply as possible, using as little space as possible. And that means feeding the cattle diets that are wholly unnatural.

But they can get more off an acre by growing crops than they can by letting cattle graze it. And grass-fed cows take longer to fatten up.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I've wondered which tastes better, but I'm too cheap to turn this into a tasty science project.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Grass-fed beef is tougher and has less flavor, in general (so I am told) ...

5. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Well, that's everything I'm looking for in an expensive cut of meat. :D

6. joe

joe Active Member

First part of that is, Daddy ain't happy, nobody cares.

7. doctorquant

Re: dietary misbehavior in a marriage: Grad school classmate ("Doris") of my wife ups and falls in love with/marries an Indian (a Tamilian, actually). Doris is nominally Catholic and, ahem, a big-boned gal. He's a vigilant vegetarian. For awhile there my wife and Doris worked at the same firm, so they car-pooled. On mornings after Doris and hubby had had a fight, Doris would routinely insist on stopping by the local fast-food joint for a country-steak biscuit (i.e., "That'll show him!").

8. The Big Ragu

Nothing like contributing to your aortic stenosis in order to teach someone else a lesson.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

There are a lot of people who do things like this, but I think there are a lot of people who, like my friend, go off to Taco Bell at lunch, where there is no element of "That will show them." or "She can't tell me what to do, I can do what I want..." to it.

If Dick walks to 7-11 on his lunch break and gets a regular apple and a bottle of Quik, I don't see it as a "fuck you" to his wife.

I am surprised when I hear about a vegetarian or vegan marrying someone who will happily have a steak. I don't think that usually ends well... :D

10. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The level of logic on display here is stunning.

11. doctorquant

Very, very quirky marriage (that's now 20+ years ongoing) there. "Doris" was very pretty but always prone to being big. Hubby looks like a Bollywood actor ... very slim, very handsome, very brilliant. Was finishing his PhD in biochem when she met him. My wife thinks Doris saw him as her one chance to snag a handsome man, so she did whatever was necessary. Which means that over the years she has gradually transformed herself into an Indian -- the sarongs, the vegetarianism, the taking-in of his family, etc., etc.

12. The Big Ragu

People used to be chased by saber tooth tigers and die during childbirth and lose limbs because of simple infections, too.

It's not really all that logical to view correlation and causation through a vacuum tube, and point to one thing correlating with "health."

If we eat more poorly today in the aggregate than we did 100 years ago, and we are causing ourselves diseases such as diabetes and coronary heart disease at levels we didn't see 100 years ago because of that diet, it means our diet isn't as good as it was 100 years ago.

We can treat a diabetes epidemic and do things like coronary stents and angioplasties and develop cholesterol medications that a scary percentage of people take. If that is what is happening, it means we have made the choice to spend a ton of our resources dealing with the fact that our diets are unhealthy relative to what they could be.

It would be simplistic to look at that overall picture and suggest, "Well, people live longer, so obviously our diet isn't a problem."

That obviously has nothing to do with eating organically. But you'd be hard pressed, based on any empirical evidence, to make a case that eating locally (or home grown) organic fruits and veggies is not better for your health than eating what most people on this board typically eat.

Draft saved Draft deleted