1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The organic food thing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My friend's wife is a southern girl...

2. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

"Organic" food also varies in quality, often depending on how it is stored and how fast the turnover is in a specific store.

Old, poorly stored organic goods are not usually very yummy.

And, an organic diet that is unbalanced or doesn't contain the proper nutrient mix is probably going to be worse for you than a well-balanced diet of the usual commercially grown fare.

3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

5. Iron_chet

Iron_chet Well-Known Member

That is why Mexican Coke tastes better than Canadian and US Coke.

6. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Or "throwback" soda and "simply" Heinz.

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I didn't say they should fight about it. I said the husband oughta just tell the wife: I like Taco Bell, and I'm eating it, and you'll have to be OK with it.

8. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I don't care one way or the other about organic foods, but Throwback Pepsi is a must for me.

9. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Purchased organic, non-homogenized milk in a bottle from a well-known hippy dairy the other day; opened the bottle and found about 2 inches of butter cream on top. OMG that stuff is crack!!!

Spread it on my muffin, mixed it in my coffee...then the milk in the bottle was the best tasting milk I've ever had. Totally addicted now.

10. MrWrite

MrWrite Member

Nothing "wrong" with organic, per se, but as was mentioned by whoever posted about beef, it's quite an expensive endeavor for a small farm to get certified organic. My wife and I used to subscribe to a local CSA that wasn't certified organic but didn't use pesticides, etc. They just couldn't afford a shitload of money to slap the "organic" label on themselves. So unless your local mom-and-pop farm -- if you live somewhere with some options on that front -- is hosing everything down in killer chemicals, you're just as good (or better off) buying something local as you are buying organic in-store.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

My sister lives in Chicago and they buy some brand of milk from some farm (I would know the name if I heard it..) that you can buy in the store and supposedly it's not organic, but better than regular milk. I'm not a milk fan on any level. I usually need Strawberry Quik to even be able to drink it, but this stuff that they get tastes so much better than regular milk it's not even funny. It's expensive, but not organic level expensive. I think a gallon is $5, I'm not sure if that includes the deposit that you have to put on the bottle.

12. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!
    Scientists work hundreds of years to improve our lives and now we say what they've done is killing us. EVERYBODY used to eat organically, and they died at age 30.

Draft saved Draft deleted