1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The organic food thing

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Dick Whitman, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

The chemicals they feed factory animals is what most concerned me about feeding the kiddo non-organic stuff.

While I have no solid evidence, I have to think all those chemicals play a role in children's development. If I'm wrong, I'm out a few thousand bucks from overpaying for food. I'll take the risk.

2. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Nonorganic isn't bad for you, but organic, local and in-season tastes better.

I get fresh organic fruit and juice because I have a friend whose family runs an organic tree-fruit business.

Anything else, I just buy it at the supermarket, and I don't pay extra for organic.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Organic doesn't necessarily taste better. I found it doesn't, actually.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Can anyone explain why organic costs more?

Is it because the farmer's crop is not getting the same yield?

5. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

If I buy it directly from the farmer at a market or at his farm, I pay the extra. If it's in a grocery store? No way. For all I know they put a sticker on the same batch of cucumbers and doubled the price.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Supply and demand.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'll talk about beef, because that's what my family raises and that's what I know. To be certified organic cattle have to have their vet care, feeding, breeding history, etc. all recorded and registered. The pastures have to be certified organic along with any grass or grain they take in and they must have unrestricted access to the outdoors. That means you can't stick them in a barn or feed yard during a harsh winter. Those things all have a cost of time and money most family farms can't afford.

Also, if you give a baby calf a shot of antibiotic to treat blackleg, scours or any of the other sicknesses young animals frequently get you'll keep it alive, but it won't ever be organic beef. Of course, a shot of penicillin, or whatever, when a calf is a few weeks old is going to have no negative effect on the beef it produces a year or so later, but that doesn't matter if you want it registered organic.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

A few things I've noticed recently....

The packaging for some organic foods look damn near identical to the regular brands of that same food. I accidentally bought organic brand granola bars for work. Did the same thing with tomatoes, but that was mostly my fault for not noticing the ORGANIC sticker on the back side of it. Just a grab and go situation, I guess.

That said, both the granola bars and the tomatoes were pretty tasty. Didn't notice a difference from what I typically buy. And the price was similar; at least similar enough for me not to notice a huge difference.

But Mizzou is right, Dick. If you can afford it -- and if that's the only major issue between you and your wife -- keep at it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

One of my best friends from high school married a woman who is super militant about everything anyone from her family eats. I found out just how extreme when we were watching their kids when they ran some errands. To be fair to us, we had no idea at the time, but the look on her face when her oldest daughter said, "Mommy, we went to McDonald's!" spoke volumes.

My wife leaned in and said, "We're in trouble..."

She was cool about it since we didn't know and we were overly apologetic... but my friend told me later that his wife is militant about "No corn syrup, no fast food, no soda, they drank some kind of special milk. I don't think it was organic, but it was some other type.

What's funny is my friend is the biggest Taco Bell fan ever. I asked him, "So no more Taco Bell and he said, 'Oh, I still go, but I do it on my lunch break and I pay cash..." He's a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force and flies fighters, so even completely badass pilots, do what they can to keep their wives and their little quirks happy... :D

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

I went to a Whole Foods for the first time yesterday. It felt like I was in a foreign country.
    Did not recognize many of the boxed products and noticed a lot of high prices. Most of the shopper seemed quite content and seemed to know what they were buying. There was almost an entire isle of various nuts and seeds.

Me, I bought a quart of organic milk and a package of organic chocolate chip cookies and left happily and likely not to go back. Place had a weird vibe much like the feel I have
    when I listen to NPR.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A couple weeks ago, my mom was watching my son. At some point, she butt-dialed my wife with her phone, as she frequently does. In the background, my wife heard my mom ordering Wendy's drive-thru.

Uh, oh.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, not a real fan myself... The closest thing I'll come to "eating organic" is to occasionally buy "grass-fed beef" but that's only when the butcher is having a special (which happens a few times a year...)

Draft saved Draft deleted