1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 12, 2017.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

We should hold an SJ.com Open. End of the day we give a Poindexter Trophy to the guy who cards the most 6's.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is that even possible? I thought most HS tournaments capped the score for a hole at 7?

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

We're going to look back on Spieth's knowledge of the rules and his decision making on 13 as brilliant when we think of this Open. To be able to make five on that hole, after that tee shot, is just insane. If he makes seven there, Kuch is probably holding the Claret Jug while lounging in his ultra-comfy and boring Skechers.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

It was in practice. I used to score some 14s and 15s in stroke play as a freshman.

(Teed up a joke for you guys)

Batman likes this.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Was in a class all morning/early afternoon. Watching it now, but saw the highlights. Incredible comeback for Spieth. Could have been a Boy Scout and folded the tents and packed it in. Great win.

6. One of our golf buddies did that this year at MB, only he caught it. It landed right in his bread basket.

Another friend did that, and threw his club in the air in disgust. It landed in the pond next to the tee box. He couldn't help but laugh

7. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

That 13th, if Kuchar sinks that birdie putt and Spieth misses his bogey, it's a 3-shot lead heading into 14. Obviously huge turnaround. Reminded me a bit (warning: Tiger fanboi alert) of the 2000 PGA on Sunday. 15th hole, May, shot up, has good birdie putt, Tiger tough par putt. Tiger makes, May misses and instead of being 3 down, Tiger was only 1 down going into 16.

And from there for Spieth...just an awesome blitz. Of course I'll be pulling against him at PGA. Don't want him becoming youngest to win career grand slam...

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And you were in on him early.

MileHigh likes this.
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Watching now and I've reached 13. What a holy clusterf***.

10. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Posted 37 minutes ago....you should now almost be halfway through that hole....

Was watching in a hotel bar with no sound so it was extremely entertaining but also very, very confusing.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

That was the most amazing turnaround in a big tournament I can recall in the 45+ years I ve been watching golf. He's 4 over through 12 with no real hints of birdie and then 5 under in 4 holes???? Major mental stones.

As for 13, I thought he was going to hit it up the Evel Knievel ramp....then....thank goodness I got to skip over the whole ordeal on DVR, would have been a bummer having to watch that and wait for 30 mins. Kuchar is such a good guy, he even gave Speith a fist bump when he got to the green.

Draft saved Draft deleted