1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Open running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 12, 2017.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Sheeeeeeeeit, I nearly hit my own car once.

UPChip likes this.
  2. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Hell, I caught my own tee shot once. Think about it.

Riptide and dixiehack like this.
  3. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Just thought of this question: Are golf holes measured in yards in Europe, or do they use meters?

4. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

The Old pop up to second base? I think I've done that. Hit a fairway wood once that popped up about six feet and landed about six inches behind me. That's skill.

Batman, ChrisLong and jr/shotglass like this.
  5. Game. Set. Match. Speith.
    Amazing recovery.
    Sad for Koch, who has been just steady today.

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Not exactly the way I envisioned it, but...

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Probably more impressive, in retrospect, than if he had birdied three of the first four and put it away early.

We know a lot of golfers would have folded the tents somewhere on that hill overlooking the 13th fairway.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Much more impressive to me. After that tee shot on 13, he had the possibility of making any score up to double digits on the hole. Then he hit nothing but flawless shots the rest of the way.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The UK still uses feet-yards-miles for distance so the courses are likely in yards.

10. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Golfing with a friend. He hit a screamer that never got more than a foot off the ground. About 50 yards out, it hit a cement meter box and came right back at him. "When I looked up, the ball was getting bigger instead of smaller," he said. He had to dive out of the way.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I was playing in college once and it started pouring down rain. I tried to play through it, and hit an iron off the tee on a par-3.
    The club went about 20 yards and the ball went about 10.

12. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Was practicing on our HS team course and our golf Coach was with me and a friend (the two worst golfers on the team).

Anyway, I topped the living shit out of my tee shot, then looked downrange to see where it went. Ball came down and hit me on the top of my head. Straight up, straight back down.

I'll never forget how disgusted our Coach was. He just glared (and laughed) at me and said "Never in a million years would I have dreamed of seeing anything like that."

Not a compliment. I wouldn't get to start until my junior year, so he was patient with us. Then he named me most improved and announced at the HS sports banquet that I'm the only person he ever knew who cut his score in HALF. HALF!!!

True stories.

RIP Mr. Norris. Great Coach.

Draft saved Draft deleted