1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Open Championship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

15th Anniversary of Carnoustie.

Still, one of the best lines ever uttered on TV. Still remember Tirico's line as Van de Velde was lining up his putt for triple........"You root for no one.....you root against no one.......but you gotta hope this goes in......."

Best televised sporting event of the year.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The obligatory Tiger status update: It appears he spent significant time in Neverland while in the area. Says he has won a major after surgery before, at the '08 U.S. Open. Yeah, should be pretty easy to summon that kind of spirit six years later.

http://espn.go.com/golf/theopen14/story/_/id/11216828/2014-open-championship-tiger-woods-plays-18-hole-practice-round-tuesday

3. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Players banned from betting on one another and themselves, ala Lee Trevino.

But their caddies can place bets.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Actually the Open Championship went back to Carnoustie in 2007, and the burn came into play there then too. Padraig Harrington won in a playoff.

Should be coming back up in the Open rota soon, but not until 2018, sadly. Carnasty is my favo(u)rite.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Love the Open and love early-morning golf, especially with wall-to-wall coverage. Even from the Mothership, which is really just down to this event that it produces/has its own announcers. And no Berman!

The usual suspects, but Tiger will be lucky to make the cut, methinks. Might be time for Stenson to break through and win a major. Lots of love for Rose based on last week. Kaymer since this apparently is the year of sports in Germany.

6. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Wonder if Westwood, Donald or Rose can win on home soil?

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

If McIlroy can figure out how to shoot under 75 on a Friday, he ought to win.

8. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Always look forward to them dragging Alliss out of the BBC box/ bar and into the booth for a little bit.

9. Yep. Best part of the Open.

And NO way Tiger doesn't win.
    He's the only guy playing - based on everything I've read so far this week. ;)

ESPN 3 is going so far as devoting itself to every shot he takes.

Love the Open. Love it. EASILY my favorite major.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It's the one of the four I never covered live, and while I very much enjoyed doing the other three for varying reasons, I was told by Scott Van Pelt during a plane trip back from a U.S. Open that being live at an Open Championship as a reporter or just plain fan was a completely awesome experience.

11. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

The one thing I love about the Open is the R&A's ticket policy.

You wake up one day and decide you want to go? Fine, show up and buy a ticket right there. Awesome.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I might just go try that next year at St. Andrews.

Draft saved Draft deleted