1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Open Championship Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by nafselon, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Stricker's in the clubhouse at -6, so the best Tiger will be is five off (pending the expected Serg meltdown, which will hit right ... about ... now.)

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I'll go one better.

A similar story expect the three golfers were John Smoltz (who's damn near a scratch golfer), Kyle Davies and Tom Glavine (I think). Cumulative they are around a 5 or 6 handicap.

Davies said "it wasn't even close to competitive"

3. Key

Key Well-Known Member

That was a nice save there by Sergio on the 17th after dropping a photog with his second shot.
    I guess I can understand the vitriol for the guy, but I'll be rooting for him to hoist the jug.

4. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

For some odd reason, I like Sergio too. I know he can be kind of a fuck, but I like that he's not an android. He's one of the best drivers and iron players out there. He really could have shot 65 today the way he hit his irons. I think if he shoots 70 tomorrow, he'll win this thing.

5. nafselon

Sergio has a look similar to Duval when he won his British Open, like he knows he is going to win this one. He's just playing better than anyone else and I don't think tomorrow will be close. This is his tournament and he's going to take it.

Good for him. I think he's still a damn good player and dare I say as good as Mickelson's been, just hadn't been able to put it together on the final day.

6. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Sergio has been rock-solid for three days, but this will be a very sleepless night. He's never been in this position before.
    Tiger needs to summon Johnny Miller, 1973 Oakmont, to have a chance, but his swing has been out of whack.

7. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

I have been watching the Open to see how the Canadian golfers are faring and Mike Weir was tied for third place yesterday. Now, he is seven shots off the pace but it is great to see Weir having a decent tournament because he has struggled of late.

Shocked at how Ames fared :eek:

8. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Try telling that to Zach Johnson if he wins the PGA Championship.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Rich Beem needs to stop fucking around and shoot the 78 we all know that he has inside of him that's DYING to come out.

10. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Working on Reilly's "Who's Your Caddy" and I loooove the idea of Tiger playing the 18th someplace on his knees as a handicap to beat Warren Buffet. Out of $5.

11. nafselon

The bad news for Garcia is that there are a lot of big names slowly climbing the board, the good news is that the course seems to be playing for a lot of birdies on the front nine so he could put this tournament out of reach with a strong start.

12. Key

Key Well-Known Member

Yeah, nothing tests the nerves quite like seeing Tiger and Els climbing the big board.

I still think par today wins it for Sergio, but with the way the course is playing, he might want a couple birdies in his pocket before heading to those final holes.

Draft saved Draft deleted