1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The only place in America . . .

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Aug 10, 2006.

1. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Clearly, you have never been to Neyland Stadium.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nothing but edible panties made of fruit roll-up and shaving cream over your nipples.

And cowboy boots.

3. joe

joe Active Member

It might say "Alabama," but whoever posted that for google to find was a dumbfuck. It should be "allemande," a square-dancing term. Because "Alabama" makes no sense whatsoever.
    Joe: Setting non-country fucks straight since 1968.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

And anyone covering rodeo would be wise to double-check the spellings of names in programs with the various Web sites. The folks running the PBR event I covered had a local cowboy's name misspelled, as he was so kind to point out to me in a bar last night.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

And you never know what format they'll want the correction in. ;)

6. sportschick

I am unable to comment on the format he wanted at this time :-X ;) :D

Just take a wild guess . . . drunken cowboy, sportschick, a bar. You can figure it out!

7. Cracker

Cracker Guest

A few years back when I was still in the industry I had to cover a 3-day rodeo. On the first day it was muggy-ass hot and I wore shorts in a t-shirt. I'm not sure I've ever felt such a culture shock in my life having come from a big, urban school (it was my first job out of college). The next day, I figured there was no way I could possibly fit in there, so I decided to dress as preppy as I could just for the juxtaposition. I think three of the five cowboys I interviewed laughed at me while talking because of how I looked, which was fitting since I was laughing to myself at how they looked. It actually kept me very amused while covering an event I had no interest in. I can't imagine actually doing that stuff, though.

8. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Give credit where credit is due to the 1976 world bareback champ, Chris Ledoux, the singing cowboy. If you want real rodeo music pull some of his stuff off iTunes. Can't stand country music but there's something authentic about Ledoux, God rest him.

And I don't understand why so many women buy the aw-shucks act put on by these guys. Then again, if they're content being just another notch in the belt, no harm no foul, right?

Edit: The song in question IS Garth, but it contains a reference to "listening to tapes by Chris Ledoux." I just can't stand Garth so I was feeling militant.

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just Ledoux it!

SC, did he let you wear his hat and his boots and nothing else? Dirty Inquiring minds want to know ...

10. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

So, Sportschick....

Do you loves you some ropin' too?

11. sportschick

Ledoux was wonderful, be we were talking Garth, dammit!

And I'm well aware that the aw-shucks thing is an act. I've got cousins, an uncle and a stepfather who've ridden in the rodeo over the years. I've been warned multiple time . . . and how do you know he's not a notch in my belt? ;)

Novelist and space . . . No comment, dammit!

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Re: the notch

Goes without saying, SC. I was speaking in generalities anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted