1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Only Job He Ever Wanted

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Stephen Fehr says good-bye.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/05/30/AR2008053002446.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Saw a hint of this on Romanesko.

Can't read it. Know it'll be too painful. And, no, I'm not Mr. Fehr.

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

That is a must read. Fantastically done.

4. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I liked this part:

Woodward was such a rock star to my generation that I knew everything about him, including that he showed up at the home of The Post's metropolitan editor one night to ask for a job. I used the same tactic to get hired at the Kansas City Star when my summer job at The Post ended. Only, I showed up at a family barbecue in the back yard of the Star's metropolitan editor. He hired me the next morning.

Try something like that these days and you'd be hauled away as a trespasser and possible stalker. You also would disqualify yourself from consideration for employment, because any journalist worth hiring would know that even the open jobs rarely get filled anymore.

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

You should. It's tremendous.

6. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

And when you think about it, he and his generation were the lucky ones.

Can you imagine a 22-year-old white male today getting his first gig at the Kansas City Star? Or moving shortly thereafter to the Washington Post?

Think about it. A talented writer coming out of college right into a metro. This rarely happens anymore. Fehr and his generation were luckier than they want to admit.

7. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Not sure you're right about that.
    I didn't go directly metro, but close enough.
    And I know how lucky I was. I came in when the money was getting decent and the jobs not as scarce. It's a shame what is happening now.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Okaaaaaay. Will report back.

Yeah, it's great. But I was right. I'm tearing up, and I don't do that, much.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

It happens more often than you think. Still impressive as hell though...

10. shockey

shockey Active Member

could be my own story, whenever my time comes.

NOW i'm tearing up. :'( :'( :'(

11. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Worth framing. Heart-felt. Heart-breaking, but not maudlin or self-absorbed. More about the business and the people in it than himself.

YD&OHS, etc

12. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

One thing that interested me is that his mother and several other relatives were newspaper people. I wonder how many of our kids would be interested in a career in journalism after the crap we've all put up with over the past several years.

Draft saved Draft deleted