1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Online-only Idea is Definitely Spreading...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WriteThinking, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

It's doubtful. Right now the newsprint gets caught in the Internet tubes. But they are working on it.

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Ba-dum-bump. (Thank you, we'll be here all week.)

I wish the Rocky had been given a shot a it. I don't know if the PI can succeed. Sadly, I think we're about to find out if one can.

3. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

I read an idea not to long ago that I think has merit.

Instead of charging per month or for eight weeks like we always have, why not try an iTunes-like model in which you pay per story. The article I saw suggested a nickel per story or a dime for a specific day's news or a few bucks for a month. The idea is to capture those impulse buyers.

This would require proprietary software similar to PayPal — PayPal wouldn't be a cost effective solution to charging a nick or dime since it's surcharges are outrageous — but it seemed reasonable to me.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Well, as you mentioned, the biggest problem is that no widely-used system is cost effective for micropayment.

If you develop your own proprietary system, you aren't going to find many users interested in signing up. Too much hassle.

Draft saved Draft deleted