1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The One Where World Peace Sends James Harden's Head Halfway to Anaheim

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Apr 22, 2012.

1. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Wait, no one in the NBA wanted to mess with Isiah Thomas? What? I'm gonna need an explanation from CUBT on that one.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

The elbow is the new fist.

3. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

What's sort of funny is his immediate reaction to the ref, which was pantomiming his beating his chest celebration and trying to explain that Harden got hit because he was in the way (which is actually not true).

4. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Mental health and sports could be a 25-part series in a newspaper and your particular question would be a huge part of it. Some publications have done some good work with sports and mental illness but there hasn't been enough.

Artest, of course (is this irony?), has spoke openly about mental illness and brought it more into the spotlight - in a positive way. He's one of the few athletes to talk about it, in fact. And he famously thanked his shrink, who was actually his psychologist, after Game 7 of the 2010 NBA Finals.

The stories I've seen the therapy was court-ordered, not by the NBA, so not sure if the league has been involved at that level.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Every one of those involved a defender going after a player with the ball while the game was going on. Dickface's elbow was while celebrating. The End.

6. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

And Love stepping on Scola's face and slamming his head into the ground and getting two games?

Again, the suspension should be a decent length. But nothing the NBA's done in the recent past - how many of those 58 elbow-related suspensions since 1994 involved a defender going after the ball? Some, for sure, but probably not most - shows Artest will get some 15-plus game suspension. But it certainly could be, for all the reasons people have talked about. I still see it being no more than 8. Could be very wrong. The next time I see Artest play, might be at the Dyckman Court in NYC.

Edit: Anthony Peeler, elbow to the face of Kevin Garnett - not playing defense, dead ball.

Two games.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

There has to be severe suspensions -- in any league -- for intentional, illegal blows to the head, because I get the feeling some players are willing to take shots realizing that if they're successful, given the concussion rules the players they hit will be out for a while. Some Rafi Torres-style suspensions should send a message right quick.

8. Drip

Drip Active Member

Did you EVER see Laimbeer play? I'm not a Laim fanboi by any stretch but he wasn't the type of player World Peace is.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

No. I only know about him from reading Internet Message Boards.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Laimbeer was a fucking hack asshole, who never stepped straight into a fight with anybody within 6 inches or 50 pounds of his own size. Anybody bigger than about 6-4, 185, he would only fight 'em if he could get the first shot in, usually from behind. In the infrequent occasions he got in one-on-one fights with guys even close to his own size, he got cleaned up and flushed like a leaky tampon.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

It sounds like it was just all an unfortunate accident and Harden was in the wrong place:

Metta WorldPeace ‏ @MettaWorldPeace

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

I just watched the replay again..... Oooo.. My celebration of the dunk really was too much... Didn't even see James ..... Omg... Looks bad
    Retweeted by Mad Dog Radio
    21h Metta WorldPeace Metta WorldPeace ‏ @MettaWorldPeace

Retweet
    Favorite
    · Open

Hope James Hardin is ok... I remember when I hit by Marc Gasol the same way.. I was spitting up blood and a headache during the game..

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Bullshit. and Bullshit.

There is no way he didn't know Harden was there.

Draft saved Draft deleted