1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The one person for you. Reality or farce?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, May 30, 2008.

1. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

We have a winner.

There may be "the one" out there for a person, but first, they need to meet each other.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

No one ever thinks about this the other way. No one ever thinks of himself as being "the one" for someone else. It's always, "she's the one for me", not "I'm the one for her."

3. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I have one of the three.
    But, yeah, if you hit that trifecta you have no chance until you run into another three-headed monster.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That's really true.

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I said "or."

I just know too many people who go to work, go home, never go out, then bitch about not meeting "the one."

6. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Possibly because "the one" adds something to them that they don't otherwise have. Or they wouldn't need "the one."

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Sure does!

[​IMG]

/for all you fans of "The Soup"

8. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Some people are perfectly content not looking or finding "the one" and so there's probably not someone for everyone. And I believe you'll know it when it happens; everything is just going to fall into place. But you can't make magic happen; I believe it's either there or it's not.

9. For sure. That, and they develop these crushes from afar, then get pissed when that person doesn't somehow magically fall in love with them.

You meet "the one" by being friendly with a lot of people, being real with a lot of people, and eventually clicking with someone who is your type.

I don't believe in "the one" because I don't believe "things happen for a reason."

I do believe there are certain types of people that mesh well with others.

I absolutely cannot imagine myself with someone other than my wife. She puts up with my eccentricities and quirks, I put up with hers. And, believe it or not, I remember the first time I saw her - freshman English 101. She was just another kid in the class with me, but my first thought was, "She seems kind of like my type." We ended up running in the same circle later in college for two years (she was dating someone else at the time), and the whole time, I still thought we would be perfect together - but she just found someone else first. And that there were others like her out there. And I'm sure there were.

When we finally began dating, though, it took about a month or less for us to realize that it was for keeps. It was that clear.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

People aren't realistic. They sit at home and play video games and watch TV and whine about how they can't meet anybody.

Or you get the ones who should be lucky to be dating anyone who think that anyone short of Jessica Biel isn't good enough.

People can be really fucking stupid.

11. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm proud to have defeated the overwhelming odds against me.

12. Exactly. I'm no Romeo by a long shot, but I had a lot more luck once I just wised up and kind of realized how much of dating begins with just knowing how to talk to people - don't hit on everybody, treat them as a person, not a target, and make eye contact. Seriously, beautiful women seem to be almost startled when someone looks them in the eye. There is no bigger indication of confidence.

I've joked with my wife that she's lucky she caught me when she did, because I was just about to go on a sex rampage now that I figured it out.

Draft saved Draft deleted