1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The one person for you. Reality or farce?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by hockeybeat, May 30, 2008.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This is something that's been bouncing around instead my head for awhile.

Recently, I talked to a person who has just started a relationship. This person seems to be very happy with it, and called the significant other "the one."

That got me thinking. Yes, every now and then, I use my head for something other than wearing a hat.

Is there such a thing as "the one"? Is there a person out there that's perfect for you? Or is that idea nothing more than a fairy tale? Could it be that there are some people who will go through life without ever experiencing love?

2. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

"The one" is the one, of many, that you pick.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I believe there is definitely such a thing as the "one."

... until she rips your heart out and stomps all over it and you move on to the next "one."

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Neither reality nor farce.
    The Queen is the one who crossed my path and I hers at the right time. We've made it work - somehow - for 30+ years. I don't think I'll last as long with my second wife.

I'm sure there are others I could have been just as happy with and there are others she could have been just as happy (or even happier) with but fate put us with each other.

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

What about people who think they're never going to experience love; that there isn't a person for them?

6. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

If you have a preconception that it will never happen, that will certainly make it more difficult. My theory is that you can make it work with many different people given the right circumstances. Luck and timing turn out to be the most important factors.

7. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I had a good feeling early on in dating my wife that she was "the one." But I would argue you don't know that for sure until you both realize the attraction and friendship is still there after you've both become comfortable enough to fart in the other's presence.

8. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I believe that there isn't always someone for everyone.

I don't think there is a "one" for me.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

Does that include dutch ovens?

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I think for some people, there is "the one." For others, there's "the one for right now." People change over time, and it's our ability (us and the person we're with) to adapt to those changes that helps a relationship survive over a long period of time. At least in a successful sense.

I loved being married to both my wives, but as we all changed, our overall inability to keep up with those changes is what eventually led to the divorces.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I never believed in "The One" until I met my wife. There's no reason for anyone to believe in it until it happens to them.

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Also, it helps if you actually meet people so you can sift through them to get to "the one."

Also hurting your chances: If you're a miserable prick, a loner, or socially inept.

Draft saved Draft deleted