1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The on-line only newspaper begins

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by mdpoppy, Feb 7, 2008.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Yeah, I actually had to read it again to catch that. And sports isn't mentioned at all. I'm assuming (hoping) that sports coverage will just now be web-based...

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Is this what the Cincy Post should have done?
    Discuss

3. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

In light of the link here from a day or so ago - about the poll Harvard mag did - I wish this paper all the luck. The poll revealed that teachers in classrooms are using cnn.com, msnbc.com, espn.com in their teachings, and are not going to their local newspaper Web sites.

4. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

I don't know what the Cincy Post's situation was, but The Cap Times is still making a lot of money of its deal with the State Journal. The paper owns 50 percent of Capital Newspapers, which publishes the State Journal and several other papers in the area.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

If there is an e-mail address for a job posting, assume you can send links to an archive.

6. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

For crying out loud, print out the stories if you have to. But even the biggest dinosaurs in newsrooms are "hep" to the Interwebs these days, and want to look like they belong in the 20th Century, if not the 21st. If a place would rule you out if you didn't send newspaper clippings, screw 'em, you probably would be looking for another job within a year or two anyway when that place goes belly-up.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I actually think it's a good move... One person on my block still gets the paper delivered and they're senior citizens...

The funny part of this is the WSJ's website was always considered pretty bad, for a really good paper...

8. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

yeah, but think of all the senior citizens who can't or don't want to go online to read the "paper". It's one reason why I canceled my SI subscription - I don't want to have to log on to read the extra stories, some of which would've have been in the mag before they started fleecing it.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I went to a seminar over the summer and one of the key points they made is that the senior citizens and baby boomers are the only reasons print editions still exist... When they die out, so will regular newspapers, which will become online only or will fold....

I'm guessing this will work better in a college town like Madison than it would in South Florida...

10. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Yeah, I wonder if The Cap Times is going to change its Web site design, features, etc. with this move because neither the WSJ or TCT's site (which is basically one in the same) is anything special.

The tabloids inserted in the WSJ should be interesting ... remember, the State Journal is the conservative paper and the Cap Times is the progressive one. I'm sure the WSJ won't be too happy to insert editorials that are exactly the opposite of what they're saying.

11. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I wish them well. If one of the online papers figures out how to make Internet advertising pay more than 1/20th of print advertising per ad, I'll send 'em a resume. Actually, I'll call my broker first.

12. Interesting change, but the front page photo to go along with the story is a bit boring: http://www.madison.com/tct/

Draft saved Draft deleted