1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Olympian (Sports copy editor/reporter)

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by philly fanatic, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Sports copy editor/reporter

The Olympian (35,000 daily, 40,000 Sunday), a McClatchy paper, is seeking a versatile, experienced sports journalist to fill a combined copy editor/reporter position in our sports department. The successful candidate must have strong skills in reporting, copy editing and design and five years' experience at a daily newspaper. Our sports coverage focuses largely on high school and regional sports and outdoor recreation. We're located on beautiful south Puget Sound, in sight of the Olympics and Mount Rainier and an hour from Seattle. If you're interested in this challenging position, please call, write or email:

Ron Newberry, sports editor, The Olympian, 111 Bethel St. NE, Olympia, WA, 98506, 360-754-5432, rnewberry@theolympian.com

2. I've never seen an ad where it encouraged you to call the SE. Surprisingly it is first in this ad (please call, write or email). Should I read my clips to him over the phone? jk

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Five years of daily experience for a 35K? Isn't that a bit ambitious? I have about 18 months' experience and I'm heading to an 80K.

4. WazzuGrad00

WazzuGrad00 Guest

Olympia is a place a lot of people want to be. I think they can afford to be a little picky. Although I'm sure they'd be willing to look at talented applicants with less experience.

I've met Ron Newberry a couple of times and he seems like he'd be a good guy to work for.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

ron newberry ... taking a page directly out of tom petty's playbook. god, i love it when guys call simply to chat it up.

6. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Good paper in a great area, although I agree that the five years of experience seems a bit ambitious. Newberry's a good guy (even if he appears to be buddies with Tom Petty).

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I used to work with one of the news-side editors. If the staff is like she is, I wouldn't go within a state of the paper....
    Hopefully, she's the exception, rather than the rule.

8. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

You know that's an "r" and an "n" next to each other, right?

edit: this post isn't nearly as funny without the response it was replying to. Lesson learned: Always use the quote function.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I laughed out loud at that

Draft saved Draft deleted