1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoman's "Mr. Unreliable" headline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDJournalist, May 1, 2014.

1. Decadent

Decadent New Member

Probably not. But when the writer serves up a shit sandwich ...

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Yeah, not the best story I've ever read and can't say I really agree with the premise, but the deck does go with the story.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I never understood what all the uproar was about. He's certainly not the first professional athlete to get criticized by his hometown paper, for things either on or off the court/field/ice. I know when it was published, he was coming off a bad game. But unless the article libeled him in some way with something untruthful, I think it falls within the typical media "free speech" zone of fair comment.

If I write a headline on some op-ed piece on column that reads "Obama presidency a disaster for America", that's not libel. It's the opinion of the writer. That sort of criticism goes with being a public figure, as does the praise.... "The Immortal Durant is the Greatest of All Time, wins MVP."

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

EDIT: That the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse. What will your verse be?

Draft saved Draft deleted