1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoman's "Mr. Unreliable" headline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDJournalist, May 1, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

He didn't even have an argument. Other than that the Oklahoman can't rebound from one questionable headline. Which, obviously, is absurd. Maybe if we ignore him/her, he/she will go away. We can only hope.

2. Decadent

Decadent New Member

The worst garbage here was the original product. That should have led to a stop-the-train moment the next day. Not really a whole lot of gray area in those conclusions.

Seriously -- I have to wonder about the thought processes of some here. I am not just talking about mental shortcomings now. It's the idea that somehow, everything is justifiable with the right amount of wishing.

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

What in the flying fuck are you talking about? Go away. Now, that's a lot of wishing.

4. Decadent

Decadent New Member

The argument was the new page wouldn't lead to a "rebound" from the old one. Your inability to grasp that doesn't mean it didn't exist.

5. Decadent

Decadent New Member

You like the "my lack of comprehension makes me right" argument, don't you?

6. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Love, love, love it. Obviously. Seems one of our old "friends" has resurfaced. I'm done here, bud. Enjoy!

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

You can't just put your tail between your leg after such a monumental fuck-up.

1, We don't know that there isn't some kind of mea culpa inside the special section.

2, Even Durant had a little fun with it during his MVP acceptance when he called out the paper.

3, Considering the fall-out from Mr. Unreliable, this is as good as they were going to be able to get.

4, It's funny how fast things devolve here. Goddamn. So again, the execution of the graphic was strong.

OK, back to the Feces Flinging Olympics.

8. H.L. Mencken

H.L. Mencken Member

We should baby out star athletes, otherwise they will leave, which will feed into our inferiority complex.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I have withdrawn from the competition. And I'm not sure you can be critical of the subhed without reading the story. I'm not sure how he redefined "Most Valuable" but maybe the story makes the case that he did.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Think theis is the one ... and the subhed seems to go with it.

http://newsok.com/kevin-durant-nba-mvps-value-goes-beyond-his-worth-to-the-thunder/article/4815023

But Durant’s value goes beyond his worth to the Thunder. Goes past the city identity that Robinson ignited in San Antonio. Durant’s value stretches to the entire state.

“For those of us who are from Oklahoma and see him on a day to day basis, we understand this award is bigger than a professional basketball player, for this city and this state,” Thunder president Sam Presti said during Durant’s MVP celebration. “It’s an opportunity for us to recognize and celebrate the person we see on a day to day basis, which is a tremendous ambassador for our city, our state. A tremendous citizen. And an inspiration for a lot of people of all ages across this great state of Oklahoma.”

And here’s part of the inspiration. Durant is a Marylander by birth and a Texas Longhorn by choice. But he’s ingrained himself in Oklahoma, either through public community actions or quiet humanitarian deeds or through simple humility despite being one of the world’s greatest athletes.

Durant talks like an Oklahoman. Refers to himself as an Oklahoman. He’s been in Oklahoma City now six seasons, is contracted to stay with the Thunder at least two more and, while you never know, talks like he plans to stay. Even more importantly, Durant acts like it.

11. Decadent

Decadent New Member

As painful as it is to admit, I have to admit I was thinking the same thing.

I have little doubt someone wove together a bunch of empty opinions and B.S. to claim Durant somehow redefined MVP. That's the way of today.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's a good man and a model citizen, and a new favorite son of the red country.

The kind of face you want as face of the league.

But that's not redefining the MVP.

Draft saved Draft deleted