1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoman's "Mr. Unreliable" headline

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by NDJournalist, May 1, 2014.

1. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Holy shit, dude. You serious? The 4-time MVP and 7-time All-NBA LeBron is just tagging along? Get a grip.

2. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Oh, and I'm surprised nobody stepped in and said this head was a bad idea. Too harsh.

3. champ_kind

champ_kind Well-Known Member

lebron's last cleveland team won 66 games. the next season the cavs set an nba record with a 26-game losing streak and won 19 games. i doubt that was because zydrunas ilgauskas left.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Lots of breakdowns here. Somebody wrote it. Bad enough. Somebody on a higher pay grade read it and approved it. That's worse. Maybe a third set of eyes proofed it. Don't think they intended it as a character assassination -- the column said he was not a reliable free throw shooter -- but that's how it comes off. I thought the apology was a little soft too. Missed the mark? How about just describing it the way a columnist would when a player goes 10 for 31.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

About a dumb a take as there is on the subject. I don't think you watch or understand basketball if you believe this.

6. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

WKRP in Oklahomacitttttttttttty

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Durant's too much of a gentleman to say it publicly, but some players would use that as motivation and then tell the newspaper to go screw itself the next time it wanted anything.

As a headline writer, I normally wouldn't do it, but I've seen lots of pro athletes vilified in headlines. Look at what Alex Rodriguez endured in the New York papers, as just one example.

8. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Pretty big leap from Durant to A-Roid or Clemens, but fair enough. And my first thought too. Good luck, Oklahoman, getting anything from Durant anytime soon.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Dipshits forgot the face paint.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

Good grief. Am I the only one who didn't think the headline was that bad?

It's obviously a little over the top, but "Mr. Unreliable" gets the whole state of Oklahoma to lose its shit? And we wonder why hometown papers lean toward homerism most of the time.

11. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Tomorrow's headline:

You're welcome

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Bingo.

Draft saved Draft deleted