1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoman lays off 57

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chase.colston, May 5, 2010.

1. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

Stunning to see him run away from the thread and back to the basement.

2. apseloser

apseloser Member

I've never heard of Brian Cook. But after reading some of those stories he wrote, he's a perpetual awful writer on top of being a classless jerk.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

"burgeoning"

4. Legacy

Legacy Member

NEW RULE: (proposal, anyway)
    1. Advocating a the layoff of legends can only be done by posters who've worked the same number of years or more at the same level or above as said legend.
    Discuss

5. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

To quote Clyde and Keith in those weak-ass Just for Men commercials: REEEEE-JECTED.

Advocating the layoff of anyone at anytime by anybody is piss poor form and automatically brands the advocator as an asshole of the highest order. At this still-difficult time in the industry, we just don't need that.

I left the post on the thread because I thought it reflected more on the poster than his subject, because I knew Berry (another rule if we had one, know how to spell the person's name) was well supported, etc.

No offense to you there, legacy.

6. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Berry Tramel? Legend? Really? Wow. That's on some kind of inside-the-borders-of-Oklahoma curve, huh?

That's not to be taken as any sort of a endorsement of Mr. Cook's comment, of course.

7. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

can't wait to see what karmic justice comes your way. what an unbelievable prick.

8. writingump

writingump Member

Off the subject, my favorite line in Moddy's "weak-ass" Just for Men commercials was when Walt Frazier says, "No play for Mr. Gray."

9. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

First, let me echo the sentiments about those who lost their jobs. I think each of us dies a little inside with every new thread along these lines.

Now, a coupla things to ponder for Mr. Cook:

1.) Scholarships are a privilege, not a right. The felony charge alone should have been enough for the kid to forfeit his.

2.) DI football players, like it or not, are role models. What they say and do in public carries influence. Stoops gave this guy a second chance. He blew it.

3.) Freedom of speech does not mean freedom from any consequences.

I don't know Berry Tramel. Given what's been written about him in response to your ill-advised missive, I have to assume he's more concerned about his coworkers who just lost their jobs than he is anything you write. Which is as it should be, because, having read the above-linked blog post, I've concluded that you're a muckraker of the lowest order.

Draft saved Draft deleted