1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoman lays off 57

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chase.colston, May 5, 2010.

1. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Yes, let's talk about this "perpetual idiot" Berry Tramel.

Berry was the guy who bought me lunch on my first day at The Oklahoman. He was also the guy who personally invited everyone who had to work on Thanksgiving, or who couldn't go home for the holidays, to come to his house that day. He also works harder than any other person in the sports department. There were people I never, and I really mean never, saw in the office, but Berry's there almost every day doing a lot more than just writing columns.

All three of the guys in sports were people I worked with, and one is a close friend. But no matter how I or anyone else feel about any of them, no one deserves to lose their job this way. Especially in a way where a story was posted on the website announcing reductions before many people came to work, and there was only hours warning that layoffs were coming ... and then 57 people were sent home. No buyout offers, just layoffs. Not to mention I found out they had all received raises (finally) not too long ago. Then this happens.

The ones laid off were a part-time agate clerk/reporter who worked 32 hours per week, a full-time slot editor/copy editor/designer and a part-time copy editor who worked two days per week, and on his way to being fully retired.

2. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

There are several things wrong with that paper, but Berry Tramel isn't one of them. He is one of the bright spots at The Oklahoman. One of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

Not shocked that the people let go were copy editors. Like it has been mentioned numerous times on this board, newspaper management do not feel like copy editors are important anymore (which is a load of crap). Hope all those involved land on their feet.

3. scribbler

scribbler Member

Not only is Tramel very nice, he's very, very good. And the perfect voice for that section.

4. Agree on both counts. Unless somebody has done you personal wrong, it's bad form to wish for them to be laid off. And as someone who follows the Big 12, I enjoy reading Tramel.

5. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't understand the hate for Tramel. I've only met him once, but he was a very nice guy and I enjoy reading him. SE Mike Sherman is a great guy as well. I feel bad for him and everyone else there.

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that most of the hate comes from fans of the state's perennial college football stepchild: Oklahoma State.

They'd have a display case full of national championship trophies if it weren't for the media . . . and the refs . . . and the NCAA . . . and jackalopes . . . etc.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

This is depressing. It had been a while since there was a layoff thread on here, I was hoping it would subside. Sigh.

8. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I'm late here but this just pisses me off to no end (and I've never met Tramel or set foot in Oklahoma, for that matter).

Brian, why don't you go and re-read the ethics of your own blog, namely the part that says "I will try very hard to maintain perspective."

9. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Speaking of perpetual idiots, you might at least try to spell his name right. Idiot. Full disclosure, have known Berry (get that, Brian?) a long time and they don't come any nicer. He also does a damn good job. Jesus, what a chickenshit thing to post.

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

I like to laugh on this site, but my favorite thing is when anonymous people attack someone and then people show up with their real names and defend them. There's hope for us all.

11. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Well, I misspelled Barry too. Otherwise, what you said. :)

12. Tommy Deas

Tommy Deas Member

I never have posted on this forum except on the thread looking for stringers, but I've been around Berry Tramel a number of times in the last decade or so and seen him work. Nobody nicer, nobody more helpful, nobody you'd rather run into while on assignment on the road anywhere. I also think his work is top-notch.

Draft saved Draft deleted