1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoman lays off 57

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by chase.colston, May 5, 2010.

1. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

2. TheHacker

TheHacker Member

Always sad to hear about another round of staff cuts. Good luck to all those impacted by this. I've seen this happen to people up close -- including to a longtime member of my staff. There really are no words.

And what makes it even more frustrating is the bullet point in the link that says their Web audience continues to grow.

We have that same thing going on at my place ... every time they cite the Web traffic stats they emphasize how many more page views we're getting. We've grown the audience by cranking out significantly more Web content, but our ad folks can't seem to sell any ads on the Web.

[begin snarky gallows humor] I guess this must be why the business is dying, huh? [end snarky gallows humor]

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Wow. Just through there in April. Paper seemed like it was pretty healthy. Good-sized Thursday and Friday editions. Interesting why they needed to do this.

4. chase.colston

chase.colston Member

Three out in Sports. Don't know who yet.

5. Brian Cook

Brian Cook Member

If there's any justice it will be perpetual idiot Barry Tramel.

6. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

All three in sports were apparently deskers.

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Weak sauce wishing a layoff on someone, no matter how much you hate them. VERY weak sauce.

8. writingump

writingump Member

Agree with Moddy. That was a cheap shot.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

No kidding. These are people's lives, man.

10. Fredrick

Fredrick Well-Known Member

3 deskers. Ah the old, 'we don't need copy editors anymore' mandate.
    Wonder if the deskers did any layout. I would think that would be quite a hit to a newspaper. I mean an information center.

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Another "amen" from the choir. Don't know if the OP has ever been laid off, but if you haven't, your feelings about being out of ANY kind of job will immediately change.

12. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Not to mention you'd have an entire state on your ass if that happened. To many, Barry Tramel is the face of the OK sports section.

Draft saved Draft deleted