1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoman: Great example of using the online medium

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Matt Stephens, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

Not sure where the journalism is, but it's a nice toy.

Wasn't it 10 years ago that AJR or CJR or one of them declared them the worst newspaper in America?

2. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I won't knock it. This is the same technology that allows you to go to websites and virtually try on clothes. You can see how a suit might look on you, etc. Anything to be different.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Somebody did it because they had a Bible verse at the bottom of page 1.

Agreed on the lack of journalism connection. But journalism has very little to do with papers today.

4. Matt Stephens

Matt Stephens Well-Known Member

With Oregon, man, that would just get out of hand.

5. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

And we have a winner.

6. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

This is the internet age. Either you adapt, or you're the horse and buggy. The uniform "toy" does provide information, visually. Regardless of whether your ego or your ethics or your whatever wants to protest, it is reality. Can you do both good journalism and grab people with short attention spans? Sure, but criticizing something that responds to reality won't save the business. If you don't adapt, your professional tombstone will include a glorious etching of you on your high horse.

7. baddecision

baddecision Active Member

MC, if newspapers are truly going to adapt, that means innovate. This is not a fucking innovation. This is a Sears catalog Flash animation (oh, pardon me, HTML5) that could be built by a bright high school kid in a couple of hours, or by myself in a couple of days. There might even be a pre-packaged template for it. So create it and post it and enjoy it, fine, but don't trumpet it as some super-neat gewgaw -- which is likely the exact reaction of the suits at this paper who don't use the Internet enough to have ever seen anything as "advanced" and golly-gee as this. I've been to enough editors' conventions to be safely certain that this is true.

PEOPLE PREFER THIS BULLSHIT TO JOURNALISM. That is our problem.

8. dmurph003

dmurph003 Member

Here is what I will never understand...Clearly, somebody put a decent amount of work into this uniform picker. Clearly, it is something that they think will be a fun thing for readers to play around with. Clearly, it is something that few other media outlets can or will do.

So where is the advertising on it? You are telling me that some business in Stillwater would not be thrilled to sponsor this neat little tool? What good is something like this if a paper is not making money off of it?

9. lesboulez

lesboulez Member

but, but...it's neat.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Money is being phased out.

11. SalukiNC

SalukiNC Member

What's Flash?

-- Sent from an iPhone

12. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member