1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoman cutting 150 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxramblings07, Sep 3, 2008.

1. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Even John has to understand, though, that he can knock on wood with the best of them (Eddie Floyd, Amii Stewart and Woody Woodpecker are my three faves), but if there's suffering at other places -- especially the bigger places -- his career might end right where he is now. Goodbye to advancement, bigger and better opportunities, boosts in pay for him and his family, and so on. Lots of trickle-down misery, even as the mid-to-small markets seem healthier.

Does any of us doubt that there is much copycatting going on in the publishers' suites, where slashing staff now is a perfectly acceptable short-term financial fix and, oh by the way, to hell with growing the product for tomorrow?

2. didntdoit19

didntdoit19 Member

If this means the end of Berry Tramel, I will lose all faith in mankind.

3. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

Sounds as though these publishers are nothing but a flock of ducks. Mindlessly following because, well, this is the thing to do.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Fixed.

5. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

He is the lone talent they have in the sports department. If they get rid of him, there is no reason to read that section anymore.

6. I'd think of all people, Tramel will be safe. He is the franchise.

7. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

That is true that he is the sports section. But you never know in this newspaper climate. A ton of good and talented people have been let go at other newspapers.

8. Tramel's not going anywhere.

I'm not sure how much the newsroom will be affected, but after the voluntary early retirements are taken, the cuts will first be based on performance and reviews, etc.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

Not a problem.

And thanks to those that stuck up for me. Expect a bean burrito in the mail within a week.

Draft saved Draft deleted