1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Oklahoman cutting 150 jobs

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by pressboxramblings07, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ScribePharisee

ScribePharisee New Member

There's not a poor man sitting at the top of these bastard companies. You want to look at fat? Start cutting at the high admin level.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

*fingers crossed*

3. ScribePharisee

Of course not. It will never happen.

4. ScribePharisee

It's like saying that these two political parties truly give a shit about working men and women when they've blown unbelievable amounts of cash to get elected to a 300K job.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I was in the press box in Norman on Saturday and for about an hour a couple of guys sitting next to me talked about nothing but the layoffs and cutbacks at their papers. I don't know where they worked, I think one was from the DMN, but it made me very happy that my paper (knock on wood) has not only avoided all this so far, but is actually doing quite well.

6. jps

jps Active Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. I'll never tell

I'll never tell Active Member

I don't think whether you're doing well or not anymore has anything to do with it. I just think that they cut just because everybody else is cutting.

Even if they're making a profit, they're just making more of one now.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I'm positive John didn't mean it that way. And John is, in fact, a quality human being.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

That's hilarious.

And TP, John's one of the good guys, take my word.

10. BartonK

BartonK Active Member

Looks like the Oklahoman wants to reclaim that "worst big-city paper in the country" title it had in the late '90s.

11. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

Not a fan of that paper's editorial leaning (right of Rush), but I really like the sports section. They've got some very talented pros who put out an entertaining product. Hope the cuts don't change that, but I ain't too optimistic.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

word taken, and post deleted with an apology to john. i'm sorry, but i'm a little hypersensitive about today's business climate.

Draft saved Draft deleted