1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Official Tim Raines Hall of Fame Support Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 22, 2011.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

I don't want to say it, but skin color likely plays a part.

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Agreed, cyclingwriter. Sadly, race is a part of it. However, the "big names" in the drug trials were Raines, Dave Parker, Keith Hernandez, Lonnie Smith and Jeffrey Leonard. The white guys that came up in the drug trials were non-stars (Lary Sorenson, Dale Berra, etc). Lee Mazzilli's name did come up and he was able to manage.

Although, some players, such as Darrell Porter and Paul Molitor, admitted their cocaine issues long before 1985. Molitor appears to have shaken it but Porter died with coke in his system in 2002.

3. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

Raines' candidacy will continue to build as did that of others. I don't think it will take 15 years, but I'm guessing that he'll will get to 75 percent before it's all said and done. Some of the people that might refuse to vote for the steroid guys coming up (Bonds, Clemens, Sosa) will be looking hard at other qualified candidates and Raines should start to push his way onto a lot more lists.

4. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

These threads are awesome.

Awesome, I tell you.

5. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

If Raines had played for the Yankees, we're not having this discussion. He would be a first ballot HOFamer.

6. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

He did play for the Yankees.

7. YankeessSuck

YankeessSuck Member

Yes he did. But for three seasons toward the end of his career

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Maybe he should start whining. Helped Blyleven.

9. Why does Rock Raines need a support thread? He's a guaranteed HOFer.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Maybe the teams he played on should start contacting every voter and beg them to vote for him and then plant stories alleging racism was involved. It worked for Tony Perez.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

The Konerko Thread, and this recent post by Pos pointing out that Raines was, in some ways, just as productive offensively as Tony Gwynn, made me think this thread needed a bump. I'm not a HOF voter or anything, but I had no idea Raines had been on base more times than Gwynn. I bet most people don't.

http://joeposnanski.blogspot.com/2011/07/14-crazy-baseball-facts.html

The rest of the column is worth a read. Even with roids, it's sort of insane that Sammy Sosa hit more tha 60 homers three times and didn't lead the league in HRs any of those years.

12. CarltonBanks

CarltonBanks New Member

Yeah, because Brock was white. Are you shitting me?

Draft saved Draft deleted